These little snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtankfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to get rid of my little piggyback snails in my ten gallon tank of mollies. I've tried to pick out all the snails but they reproduce too fast. I want to use salt to get rid of them. I've been told that they can't take the salt. How much should i add to get rid of the snails but keep it safe for the mollies? The bottle of salt says add 2 tablespoons but thats just to get brackish. How much can i add?

2 tpbsp/10gal is fine for mollies - they won't mind it a bit! Plants won't care for it, if you have them. Let us know how it works, there are several threads going now about snail frustration!

I used to have a snail problem, and i just solved it by crushing every snail in sight against the aquarium glass. My keyhole cichlids ate them once crushed, well, chewed on it and then spit some stuff back out.
And now my tank is snail free for some months.....so i put in a new snail from a friends tank :lol:
I just wanted a little more action in the tank.....and that from a snail......so far its been in for 2 weeks and ive seen no baby snails yet, although i am pretty sure my keyholes will eat them.

And on a side note...........i'm too anxious to have my keyholes mature till they mate, so in the meantime, i'm going to build my own tank.........my only worry is the lights......no idea how i do that without building a hood.

Sorry i got of the subject, but you could actually try squshing them, and maybe your fish will eat them. saves some money on food.

i've heard they have a intollerance to copper too, couple of the older pennies in the filter is meant to work wonders, never tried it... in fact i've only just got snails after months of searching :D

double check with someone who's a lil more knowledgable than i tho... its just something i read once

Back
Top Bottom