They call me the cory killer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of cories tend to be wild-caught where I'm located. Do you know if that's true for you as well? I'd imagine any additional stress on a fish that's already been through the ringer would be enough to push most over the edge. Could you fill out your numbers from a different source?

I'm inclined like the others to believe it's an issue with the stock and not with your fish-keeping abilities.

The "off the charts nitrate" reading from your LFS sounds like the problem to me. They were likely in the process of slowly dying when you brought them home.

I agree on the "it must be the stock" theory. Did you get them from World of Wet Pets or Wet Spot? I like World of Wet Pets, but I'm not the biggest fan of their stock sources... Wet Spot almost always has wild stock that tends to be healthier.

I agree on the "it must be the stock" theory. Did you get them from World of Wet Pets or Wet Spot? I like World of Wet Pets, but I'm not the biggest fan of their stock sources... Wet Spot almost always has wild stock that tends to be healthier.
They were from World of Wet Pets. They also just got in the wild Punctatus cories that I wanted for the rest of the team; I've never seen Punctatus at Wet Spot. But now I'm hesitant to get the punctatus even though they are the species of cory that I particularly want =|

I think I will just need to find time, somehow, to go to Wet Spot. I have two preschoolers and very little time for myself so it's tough to get out there. But I need to try their cories (and their otos... we've had this same convo about otos lol). I'm sure that Wet Spot has Julii or Sterbai cories since those are such common species. I love that their website has a stock list!!

I seriously have the worst cory luck, considering Wet Spot gave me the dwarf cories that gave columnaris to all of my World of Wet Pets Punctatus Cories :banghead:

They were from World of Wet Pets. They also just got in the wild Punctatus cories that I wanted for the rest of the team; I've never seen Punctatus at Wet Spot. But now I'm hesitant to get the punctatus even though they are the species of cory that I particularly want =|

I think I will just need to find time, somehow, to go to Wet Spot. I have two preschoolers and very little time for myself so it's tough to get out there. But I need to try their cories (and their otos... we've had this same convo about otos lol). I'm sure that Wet Spot has Julii or Sterbai cories since those are such common species. I love that their website has a stock list!!

I seriously have the worst cory luck, considering Wet Spot gave me the dwarf cories that gave columnaris to all of my World of Wet Pets Punctatus Cories :banghead:

Ouch, the columnaris came from Wet Spot? They're usually really good on their quarantines, but I guess that's a nasty and sneaky enough bug it can defeat even the best attempts to contain it...

I agree, I love Wet Spot's stock list :) If Wet Pets is saying their Punctatus cories are wild, I'd say take a shot on them. Just QT them carefully. If you don't want to risk it you can always message Wet Spot and ask if they can get the Punctatus in stock. They're pretty good at helping with special orders.

You could try again just ask for an extended warranty. Ottos are tougher than cories. Ottos tend to die for jo reason at all until they sre established. Then they are tanks lol

I couldn't keep my panda Cory's alive. Originally bought 10 and they all died one by one over four months. Ottos are thriving though in my tank.

Ouch, the columnaris came from Wet Spot? They're usually really good on their quarantines, but I guess that's a nasty and sneaky enough bug it can defeat even the best attempts to contain it...

I agree, I love Wet Spot's stock list :) If Wet Pets is saying their Punctatus cories are wild, I'd say take a shot on them. Just QT them carefully. If you don't want to risk it you can always message Wet Spot and ask if they can get the Punctatus in stock. They're pretty good at helping with special orders.

At least they had the intestinal fortitude to confirm the columnaris instead of pretending like nothing happened.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At least they had the intestinal fortitude to confirm the columnaris instead of pretending like nothing happened.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They didn't explicitly do so.
Here's the quick story:

I went to buy dwarf cories. Guy says "oh, they are in quarantine. They will be available in 2-3 days" (note he did not say "they are sick", that was a direct quote. I assumed, bad me, he meant they were just new and not ready for sale)

Went back next weekend. Bought dwarf cories.

Cue a month of fish dying very obviously from columnaris symptoms (had tons and tons of help with that).

Went back to fish store. Saw dwarf cories were in quarantine AGAIN. Light bulb goes off. Ask worker, "say, what's up with those dwarf cories?"

She says, "Oh I have been treating those off and on for months for something!"

*I* say, "yeah so they have columnaris by the way if you need to know what to treat them for. Thanks for killing all my fish with your store's deliberate withholding of information about their quarantine" (but politely) :facepalm:

:banghead:

Im not sure if this has been mentioned, but how long has this tank been set up? Otos need a mature tank so they can feed off the biofilm. I have pygmy cories who also require a mature tank, but I'm not sure if this holds true for other cories. I would lean towards the batch of fish.

Back
Top Bottom