They REALLY do better in schools!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tiger barbs I mean. I did my research and listen to your advise and decided to add 3 more tiger barbs and one more aurulious to my "barb tank" 30 g, to total 6 tiger (3 green + 3) and 3 aurulious.

While in QT the 3 tiger barbs were really going at each other. One of them was so badly beaten that I decided to keep it in the QT for an extra week to recover. It had only half tail and almost none fins in the tummy.

Two tigers and 2 aurulious, joined 3 green tigers and 1 large aurulious and they were all happy.

Last week, and with great scepticism, I moved the recovering tiger with the rest of the barbs. It was hiding for a while, no signs of aggression, so I turned the lights off and wished for the best.

The next morning, to my surprise, :eek: they were all swimming and feeding together like a big happy family. After a week in the QT and 10 days "in family" the barb's tail and fins are almost fully re-grown.

Happy ending and one more example that they are definitely happier in bunches!!!! :D :D :D

Barbs are nervous fish which is why they do so well in tight nit schools. It's their main defense against predation. When they are by themselve or in a small group such as 3, they probably feel very insecure which makes them lash out at other fish...to adapt to a bullying type behavior to try and show they are not to be messed with.

I love happy ending :)

More barbs=agression spread out over more fish. Barbs are agressive by nature (tigers more so than other types).

IMO, tiger barbs are also territorial, they tend to be aggressive to each other, having more of them limit their sense of territory due to numbers.

In fact, the same also apply to male Bettas. Almost everyone knows that putting 2 male Bettas together will cause them to fight. But if you put around 10 of the same type of male Bettas together, usually they will not fight each other anymore... =)

fearlessfisch said:
Is that true about male bettas?!!!! What a gorgeous tank that would be!!!! What an incredible risk to take, though...
Absolutely no risk, just death.
Absolutely opposite, you would have total murder and mayhem sticking multiple male Betta's together. Scales would be flying, fins shredded and fish dying as they literally tore one another apart.
Female Betta's, yes, you can have multiple fish and more can help spread the aggression out, but even the females can be vicious to each other.

AshleyXavier said:
IMO, tiger barbs are also territorial, they tend to be aggressive to each other, having more of them limit their sense of territory due to numbers.

In fact, the same also apply to male Bettas. Almost everyone knows that putting 2 male Bettas together will cause them to fight. But if you put around 10 of the same type of male Bettas together, usually they will not fight each other anymore... =)
I call bullfeces! They will fight regardless, there will be dead fish.

Back
Top Bottom