things left over in the plant bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought to plants from the lfs today, and noticed what was left in the bag. there are two of them, they look similar to a shrimp, but are about the size of a platy's eye. i say similar because they curl up once in awhile, although they may be shrimp fry, im sure they may be, or some freshwater amphipod.

the other thing is a tape worm or something, looks like a small but long skinny slug. moves like a amoeba or something, throws part of its body out, then scoots the rest of it over.

as you can tell, im new to plants, and the thing that live on them

i dont have a digital camera, sorry no pics. i'll further descibe these things though

The little things could be copopdos, possibly daphnia which the fish will eat. The other could be a leech but you need to look and see if it has any kind of sucker mouth or not so we can tell you for sure.

sorry forgot to add:

the tapeworm thing is white/clear (i cant tell)

i put the plants in the 20gal long with my baby ghost knife, mystery snail, and a columbian ramshorn (who came with the plants). i dont mind if the shrimp/daphnia stay, but im afraid how many tapeworm/leeches ive introduced to my tank

nah, only marisa ramshorns eat plants, im pretty sure this guy is a columbian red (the rarer kind)

I didn't know that the pond snail ramshorns were Columbian. Good to know.

Also, if you breed more I want some. ;)

I had what were called Columbian ramshorns but didn't have plants. They got to almost 2 inches in diameter. Is this a Columbian? Are the ones I have also Columbians, the ones that only get 1 inch round?

i could prob get u some F4A, let me know, can they be sent to your neck of the woods?

Well my LFS can get any snail but Apple Snails so they should be. I will check the regulations to make sure.

hc8719 said:
i bought to plants from the lfs today, and noticed what was left in the bag. there are two of them, they look similar to a shrimp, but are about the size of a platy's eye. i say similar because they curl up once in awhile, although they may be shrimp fry, im sure they may be, or some freshwater amphipod.

the other thing is a tape worm or something, looks like a small but long skinny slug. moves like a amoeba or something, throws part of its body out, then scoots the rest of it over.

as you can tell, im new to plants, and the thing that live on them

i dont have a digital camera, sorry no pics. i'll further descibe these things though

I just started plants and I have these too. they get on my glass. I saw one floating around and my fish ate it. They give me the creeps.

your welcome, they are just a common little thing that sometimes show up in my plants too. I scuba dive in the great lakes and they are everywhere in there. Fish love them too!
Won't harm fish in any way. You can feed them to your fish if you want.

Back
Top Bottom