Think I'm overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's a 29 gallon tank, here are my current fish.

2 small albino corys
1 neon dwarf gourami
6 young tiger barbs
1 clown loach

So actually i have two questions:

1. Is it ok to have clown loaches in a 29 gallon? ( I found him in a tank by himself at a pretty shady lfs, I felt sorry for him. Plus he was only $4.50. )
2. I know clowns should be kept in groups, do i have the space for a buddy for him?

he's eventually going to outgrow the tank so i wouldn't get any more. If you get other smaller loaches he will school with fish fo the same size

They grow slow so u have time. Ideally they should be with their own species but they will do ok with other fish.. they are very social.

The clown loach will eventually become too big for the tank and yes they do like their own kind, but not uncommon if one's been use to being alone that it may or may not care for another.

Tiger barbs reach about 3", so a school of six may be reaching the absolute limit. I wouldn't add to the population of what you have now except perhaps a small species of pleco to help with the algae or some otocinclus. You seem to have a sound tank population wise. Just be prepared later to trade out the clown loach and some tiger barbs as they grow. A nice loach for a 29 gallon tank would be dario botias. Another little loach that should be suitable for these fish is the skunk botia. They both get 4". The dario is less likely to bother anything. Skunk botias shouldn't be kept with slow fish. They can be aggressive, but gouramis and tiger barbs can hold their own with them.

Poke,

Do what i did...I started with a 29gal and now i've added two 55gal and a 125gal

your don't have to worry so much about being overstocked as you do about where are you going to put your next tank!

It called MTS and Ive got it bad!

Back
Top Bottom