Think Twice Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good list! :)

Also wanted to add those ever-so-cute juvenille African cichlids that Petco almost sold me one time if it hadn't been for the fact that a very smart Petco associate told me not to get them. People buy those fish and put them in ten, twenty gallon tanks without knowledge that they'll need a lot bigger and a lot more fish and a lot more work on them.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But, I found it pretty shady to see that they just had a bunch of fish in a tank and didn't even bother to name all the species. I definitely am not a fan of getting fihs when you don't even know what species they are. I stayed away from more cichlids on this list because I do not see them as commonly and I do not know much about them.

Ya thats true!!!! And tattooed fish not only will they die quicker but its painful to the fish and might carry infections even tho they r cool looking

abrahamavelar said:
Ya thats true!!!! And tattooed fish not only will they die quicker but its painful to the fish and might carry infections even tho they r cool looking

Yeah... they might get (fish) skin cancer or something.... (scale cancer?? Idk!) But it can't be good for the fish's skin or organs.

Tigroscr said:
Do people really put salmon and trout in their tanks? WOW!!!

Some noobies think they can get a 20 gallon tank and catch some wild fish like trout or (young) salmon and put them into their tanks...

abrahamavelar said:

Yeah I was @ the LFS today and saw some jelly bean parrots! Poor little guys!! :-( It's sad their color don't even look right!! I know the manager pretty well from shopping there and I told him those should be outlawed and he said that he would talk to his district manager about it!! Idk how far that will go I will be back in there probably in a week or so and find out!

maxwellag said:
Yeah... they might get (fish) skin cancer or something.... (scale cancer?? Idk!) But it can't be good for the fish's skin or organs.

Hahaha but on the serious side they usually live stressed n r more likely to carry ich etc

Awesome post. This should be a sticky and we as a community can keep adding to it! It's all so true...

Yeah, I thought the rtbs looked sooo cool. I am really glad I looked into it before getting one. Lol, a 4 foot fish in a 55 gallon would certainly be something! I have to say that I have enver seen red-tailed catfish for sale.

Its growth would probably be so stunted. Might reach over two feet though. They look cool as juveniles and adults! A place near me was selling them at about 2-3". It isnt commonly sold so it doesnt need to make the list

I would add "sensitive fish" such as the rummynose tetra, which require an established tank.

I do agree that dwarf gouramis and other fish, such as the neon tetra, that are sickly due to overbreeding, should be on the list.

But again..... if you RESEARCH PRIOR TO PURCHASE, you should end up with a healthy tank stocked with happy species...... ;)

I think maybe you should add corydora catfish, not because they're hard to care for or sensitive, but because they need to be in groups of atleast 6. Also maybe note something about schooling fish, how they can be aggressive when not in a proper school.

I think maybe you should add corydora catfish, not because they're hard to care for or sensitive, but because they need to be in groups of atleast 6. Also maybe note something about schooling fish, how they can be aggressive when not in a proper school.

really i ddnt know they get aggressive

Yes, but really why are they think twice fish? I think most people know that schooling fish need schools, and if not they find out eventually and get a school. Simple as that...?

My issue with Neons is that b/c they are so small, many people put them in small tanks. They are very active fish and would do best in at least a 20 gal long, IMO. I just feel badly that they so often get placed in small tanks b/c they are small fish and then aren't able to be as active as they are capable of.

I feel mollies should be added because IME they are aggressive and most pet stores sell them as community fish but I feel they aren't because of their aggressive eating habits.

I think this is a great thread and could be a good reference tool for people. I especially like the pictures that were in HN1's thread which really put things in perspective.

My only suggestion would be that we stick with the fish which are widely available to unknowing consumers at chain stores and most LFS's like Bala Sharks, Tinfoil Barbs, SAE's, etc...

If we start getting into things like Dwarf Gouramis, Mollies and Neon Tetras...this might be an never-ending list which would become cluttered and hard for the newbies to take in all the information.

In that format we might as well add everything from GBR's (which die off for unknown reasons), Guppys (which many novices might not understand how prolifically they breed), Oto's (which have a substantial die off rate when new), etc...

Again, I think the list is great...but just IMO it might be the most effective if formatted in a "Top 20" list or something similar. Technically every fish should be a "Think Twice Fish." :) JMHO

Back
Top Bottom