Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thinking about a new filter - recommendations?

I'm thinking about changing the filter in my son's aquarium - info on the tank is in my sig. Right now it just has the basic old Tetra Whisper filter that came with it. It's similar to the PF10, but it doesn't have the "timestrip technology". It uses those white drop-in carbon filters.

I do pretty regular water tests and my levels are good, and do about a 25% water change every other week or so. Other than a little issue with the wife helping to feed the fish for a week or two and over-feeding the crap out of them, the tank stays relatively clean.

I was thinking about getting a Bio Wheel or Aqua Clear filter, but wondered if there's really any difference or benefit between one or the other vs what I'm running now. This is all set up in my son's room, so it can't be screaming loud. The current filter doesn't bother him, and he's a pretty heavy sleeper, so noise isn't a huge concern, but I don't want it to become a problem.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!
-Jeff

jfoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

AquaClears are amazing. I have one, and am going to buy another soon. They have good flow output( which you can CHANGE, unlike a Bio-weel), and it is sooo much easier to clean than a Bio-wheel( i have a Bio-wheel for one tank, dont like it), and you dont ahve to have to have carobn in it( Bio-wheel catridges come with carbon in them, making medicating a tank hard to do), and they have more space in them for media.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Its really up to you if you want to drop some money on a better filter. I am still running the AquaTech filter I got with my walmart 10g kit. It has been 3+ years with no problems. I stopped buying their expensive cartridges and just use a big sheet of poly fiber which I cut to fit in the filter.

The only benefit I think you would gain by going to a newer filter would be a higher turnover rate of the water. I you went with an AquaClear 20 you'd be turning over your tank 10 times an hour (100g/hour). I'm sure that would be a step up from your current filter.

Like the old saying goes.... if its not broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Like the old saying goes.... if its not broke, don't fix it.
I prefer the saying " If it ain't dead, dont bury it!"
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
for fresh water....i'd go with an Aqua clear 30 on that tank
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #6

I was thinking 20, but if 30 would be better, that's fine by me! Probably better to get that extra turnover.

I looked at my stuff last night and the filter I currently have is the Tetra Whisper 5-15. It seems like it does an okay job, but a little more turnover might not hurt.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah...I use a 50 on my saltwater 10 gal. It rocks. BUt Fresh, 30 is probably ok. I just personally like the extra turnover...keeps the water crystal clear
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a Penn Plax that I inherited, and I'd have to say it performs pretty well. The only reason I dont like it is because it is hard to use type of filter media other than the cartridges for it. But, the replacements are not expensive and do a good enough job for my 44 gal.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #9

Well, my decision was made for me yesterday! I was talking with my neighbor last night - he has a 55gal freshwater tank... He had been using an Aqua Clear 30 along with a second filter about the same size, but just last week he finally broke down and bought a big canister filter, so he just gave me his old AquaClear30! Not only that, but he had grocery bag full of media for it, so I'm set for a while!

It just occurred to me yesterday that I've got the best setup ever... I toss my neighbor spare computer parts as I upgrade my main PC and he hands off his aquarium stuff to me! It's a win-win for everyone involved
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

sweet deal
Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoust View Post
Well, my decision was made for me yesterday! I was talking with my neighbor last night - he has a 55gal freshwater tank... He had been using an Aqua Clear 30 along with a second filter about the same size, but just last week he finally broke down and bought a big canister filter, so he just gave me his old AquaClear30! Not only that, but he had grocery bag full of media for it, so I'm set for a while!

It just occurred to me yesterday that I've got the best setup ever... I toss my neighbor spare computer parts as I upgrade my main PC and he hands off his aquarium stuff to me! It's a win-win for everyone involved
Sounds like you as well as your neighbor have a good neighbor!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoluvr View Post
sweet deal
Yeah, I can't complain.. It's been up and running since Monday night and I can already tell a difference in water clarity! The only thing it ended up costing me was $3.50 to get a BioMax insert - somehow my neighbor had 4 of each of the foam and carbon inserts, but no BioMax! I thought my water was pretty clear before, but this AquaClear seems to have made a real difference.

I also like that I can easily turn the flow down during feedings so I'm not getting a tornado of food that ends up getting ingested by the filter!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

awesome....sounds goood. I know you'll love the filter. Every 6 months or so...you'll just need to remove the pump (Just 1/4 turn and it comes off) and clean around the inpeller with a pipe cleaner or something. The impeller also comes right off...just grab it w/tweezers and it slides off. Also...on the extensions that go into the tank, I like to take them off every other water change and swish them around in the removed aquarium water to get any gunk in there free. It's really simple and will consume about 5 minutes of your time. It'll go a long way in making the filter last a long time for you
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

aqua clears are really great filters. i have an elite underwater heater with adjustable current, and it works great for my guppies, and it really is quiet. its completely submersable, and everything is completely water proof. alot of ppl dont like the idea of a completely submersable filter because of electrical issues and what not, but i have had no issues with it yet.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoluvr View Post
awesome....sounds goood. I know you'll love the filter. Every 6 months or so...you'll just need to remove the pump (Just 1/4 turn and it comes off) and clean around the inpeller with a pipe cleaner or something. The impeller also comes right off...just grab it w/tweezers and it slides off. Also...on the extensions that go into the tank, I like to take them off every other water change and swish them around in the removed aquarium water to get any gunk in there free. It's really simple and will consume about 5 minutes of your time. It'll go a long way in making the filter last a long time for you
Thanks for the cleaning tips... I should have probably cleaned the impeller and stuff before I installed it! Maybe this weekend when I do my next water change I'll go ahead and clean it. My neighbor takes good care of his stuff, but I'm not sure when it was last cleaned out.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

no problem!!

Tags
filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com