Thinking about a Starting a fish channel in the future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelladeymx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im a New Hobbyist to the fish world, and This is a project that swam into my mind right away. (Sorry for the terrible pun, I have a habit of making them)
I'm also a young kid going into the film industry. Since I have experience with Filming, Editing and the like, I thought that once I gain quite a bit more experience, and knowledge that I learn and will continue to learn from you guys, I could use my talents in film to make a very in depth channel for people.

The articles on here are fantastic, and I have full intentions to promote the site and the articles with their information. And I have no doubt that there are already thousands of fish videos on Youtube. But I feel like If I can produce something professionally worked on, with the experience and knowledge I can learn and share again with others, It might be able to help people on here, and on the internet as well. If theres already a amazing channel out there that is doing that and I just haven't found them yet, Let me know, Also, Opinions and suggestions would be great!

This isn't something I intend to start right away, this is a ways away, I just like to plan out things I film, (That's the Cinematographer in me I guess)
And I want to be comfortable with my understanding of something before I try and teach another person about it.

But I think, a really well done video about each of the tools, the types of tanks, creating things for your tank, the do's and dont's that have helped me immensely, as well as Maybe a short video a week about a different fish, Giving off their Diets, aggressiveness, Suitable tank mates, Maximum size, common illnesses and best sort of tanks for them, stuff to help people do their research before they buy a fish, would be another useful tool.

Current Idea's I have to try and research/learn about for the project

Things to be aware of before starting a tank

Tools/Equipment required to run a successful tank

Cycling a tank
-Without Fish
-With Fish (Which I will strongly suggest against)

What a strong biofilter is meant to do, and why to establish one

What to test your water for, and how to.

General Hardware (The standard equipment in your tank)
-Types of Filters, Pro's Cons of each
-Heaters Discussing wattage requirements for a tank
-Lights and which lights are useful for each type of tank
-pumps (water and Air)

Additional Hardware
-UV Sterilizer
-Wave Makers
-Powerheads
-Skimmers

Tools
-Scrubbers
-Nets
-Vaccums

Chemicals
-water Conditioner
-Salts
-Medicine
-PH levelers

The Types of tanks
-Freshwater
-Saltwater
-Brackish Water
-Reef Tanks
-Planted Tanks
-Micro Tanks
-Community
-Species
-Hospital
-Breeding
-Sump
-Shrimp Tanks

Substrates

Is Acryllic or Glass a Better Choice?

Properly stocking/avoiding over stocking

General Tank Tips

3D aquarium backgrounds

Real or fake plants?

Driftwood ornaments

Illness Series
-Various Illnesses and what causes them
- A (hopefully) Encyclopedia for treating the illnesses

Building/Sealing your own ornaments

The Types of fish Aggression levels

Schooling Fish (Why certain fish need friends)

Dealing with Algae

Turtle knowledge (I intend to get a turtle for my Freshwater Build next winter)

Suggested Equipment
-Cheap but effective
-Mid Priced
-High Expense

Individual Fish informations
Goldfish
Koi's
Angelfish
Oscars
Bala Sharks
Cat Fish
(Starting with the fish that are easy to access and generally misjudged for too small a aquarium, Then Maybe eventually moving on to more exotic expensive fish)
Of course, these are just the first of many idea's and As time goes on, I'll come up with more, Hopefully once the project starts, People have their own questions and I can try and create more videos for those needs as well.

Other Suggestions so far:

Beta Care
-Beta's in a community?
-Beta's Guideline to a proper Tank
-Common issues Betafish have

Ask/Advice from Experts

(This one I think I am a ways away from being able to do)

Last edited:
That would be awesome!

Maybe try YouTube or something to start and help you gauge interest?

Definitely sounds interesting and am looking foreward to updates

That would be awesome!

Maybe try YouTube or something to start and help you gauge interest?

Definitely sounds interesting and am looking foreward to updates

I intend to base the entire project on youtube if I go through with it,
With links and information leading back to here, and whatever other places help me find information for that video. :)

Current Idea's I have to try and research/learn about for the project
Things to be aware of before starting a tank

Tools/Equipment required to run a successful tank

Cycling a tank
-Without Fish
-With Fish (Which I will strongly suggest against)

What a strong biofilter is meant to do, and why to establish one

What to test your water for, and how to.

General Hardware (The standard equipment in your tank)
-Types of Filters, Pro's Cons of each
-Heaters Discussing wattage requirements for a tank
-Lights and which lights are useful for each type of tank
-pumps (water and Air)

Additional Hardware
-UV Sterilizer
-Wave Makers
-Powerheads
-Skimmers

Tools
-Scrubbers
-Nets
-Vaccums

Chemicals
-water Conditioner
-Salts
-Medicine
-PH levelers

The Types of tanks
-Freshwater
-Saltwater
-Brackish Water
-Reef Tanks
-Planted Tanks
-Micro Tanks
-Community
-Species
-Hospital
-Breeding
-Sump
-Shrimp Tanks

Substrates

Is Acryllic or Glass a Better Choice?

Properly stocking/avoiding over stocking

General Tank Tips

3D aquarium backgrounds

Real or fake plants?

Driftwood ornaments

Illness Series
-Various Illnesses and what causes them
- A (hopefully) Encyclopedia for treating the illnesses

Building/Sealing your own ornaments

The Types of fish Aggression levels

Schooling Fish (Why certain fish need friends)

Dealing with Algae

Turtle knowledge (I intend to get a turtle for my Freshwater Build next winter)

Suggested Equipment
-Cheap but effective
-Mid Priced
-High Expense

Individual Fish informations
Goldfish
Koi's
Angelfish
Oscars
Bala Sharks
Cat Fish
(Starting with the fish that are easy to access and generally misjudged for too small a aquarium, Then Maybe eventually moving on to more exotic expensive fish)
Of course, these are just the first of many idea's and As time goes on, I'll come up with more, Hopefully once the project starts, People have their own questions and I can try and create more videos for those needs as well.

Looking/Hoping for more suggestions as well, (Had one or two already)
Things that you think Novice's and more serious hobbyist may have a use for.
Going to a Petstore today as well, Gonna try and look for idea's and Information while I am there.

I like the idea. You may want to add betta care to the list since most people assume they can be easy to care in a tank less than a gallon.

I like the idea. You may want to add betta care to the list since most people assume they can be easy to care in a tank less than a gallon.
Definitely. I used to be one of those people! And Thought a Betta needed to be alone, and have no tank mates.

I bought a large encyclopedia of Fish information today, It goes over a ton of information. Hopefully it will also help me in learning about the hobby, and give me some idea's towards content.

(Also almost bought a turtle... and a new tank, Now thats next week...)

What do you guys think of also doing a series on Plants?
I just bought my first plant, It's just a Hydrocotyle Verticillate
(Granted, I should have made some research before buying it, But he said any plants in that tank, would work well in a Tropical)
And While I know nothing of it, (And Left in the bag, and almost killed it)
It seems to be alright. (Little on the Brown side. But he is still going.)

Absolutely. Plants, plant-friendly fish, plant-friendly substrates, the different fert methods, lighting, C02, liquid carbon, aquascaping (iwagumi, Dutch, etc), the Walstad method, and so forth could all have in-depth episodes. :)

I will be a follower! Heck, who knows. You might get syndicated onto cable TV as the Fish Channel. That would be awesome! Life & Luck. OS.

This will work. I have often wondered why there isn't a fish channel. I mean there are travel channels and food channels and stuff like that. Why not a fish channel? Seems like it would garner sufficient following. As with anything though you gotta start somewhere so youtube should prove to be a good launching point.

As for a programming idea. I find loaches fascinating. You could do several pieces on the various types of loaches and their behaviors. It is interesting to learn what part of the world each comes from/their native waters and habitat etc. What they go well with in the Aquarium i.e. tank mates and water parameters, emphasize they need to be kept in groups etc.

Good luck.

This is a great idea! If you plan on doing plants, you should add corals to the list as well. Another potential idea is suggestions on how to design the inside of a tank. I know its subjective, but you could just say what you have found/what works for you

The project is intended to start on youtube.
Sometime within the next month I will be buying the software for my own computer at home. As well as a extra tank to start going over the tank requirements, Cycling (Fishless, and maybe I can find some fake floaty fish toys to use as an example for Fish in, Might even add some humor with it), arrangements, ornaments..
I would like to do a series called Fish Facts Friday. Starting with simple fish, and as my experience grows, moving on to more risky/difficult fish.

I will of course be starting off with simple little things. As I have no real experience with larger projects (YET) but as soon as I start getting more adept with tanks, I will begin working on more advanced video content.

Back
Top Bottom