Thinking about adding an anglefish, advice is welcome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a very aggressive bout with fin rot about a month ago. The 'survivors' are:1 stripped peacock eel and 1 rosy glass barb. I know the barb is a schooling fish. I have held off restocking my tank to allow the tank to resettle itself. My levels are finally at 0 and ph is 7.3. I'm thinking about adding an anglefish, so here are my questions. Is a 35 gallon too small? If I got more rosy glass barbs, would they harass the angle? And if so, what would be suitable as a tank mate? Thanks.

A 35 gallon may be ok with one angelfish. How high is the tank?

However, Rosy barbs become fairly large and active. They may stress the angelfish out as well as not having enough room. I would have thought that the rosy barbs won't work

If it is possible, and you really want an angel, I would rehome the barb you have now and go with something that is more suitable with angelfish.

Hope this helps

The tank dimensions are: 30 long, 19 high and 12 inches front to back. I was told it was 35 gallons( please correct me if the gallon size is wrong.) I'm kind of attached to the rosy glass barb because he's been through a lot. So i will be getting him some friends of his own kind.I'm flexible on the angel. Any other fish ideas would be welcome.

Are you after a centerpiece?

A Pearl Gourami might be quite nice. As are the smaller gouramis - Dwarf and honey gouramis. Bolivian rams are nice as well, and I think you can keep them as singles as well.

A 35 gallon may be ok with one angelfish. How high is the tank?

However, Rosy barbs become fairly large and active. They may stress the angelfish out as well as not having enough room. I would have thought that the rosy barbs won't work

If it is possible, and you really want an angel, I would rehome the barb you have now and go with something that is more suitable with angelfish.

Hope this helps
I agree. The barb should be rehomed if you plan to purchase an angelfish.

If you like the barb that much, try adding four more to complete a small school and they may lave the angel fish alone. That would give you 1 eel, 5 barbs and an angel. But with all fish you should qt then monitor them for aggression.

somethingsfishy said:
If you like the barb that much, try adding four more to complete a small school and they may lave the angel fish alone. That would give you 1 eel, 5 barbs and an angel. But with all fish you should qt then monitor them for aggression.

Ok I will go with this. Would I overstocked my tank if I added some oto cats?

I would only add few fish at a time. Start with the barbs, then the angel in a couple of weeks. The the ottos a couple of weeks after that. Let the bacteria adjust to the new fish. And also give the fish time to settle in. And monitor closely.

somethingsfishy said:
I would only add few fish at a time. Start with the barbs, then the angel in a couple of weeks. The the ottos a couple of weeks after that. Let the bacteria adjust to the new fish. And also give the fish time to settle in. And monitor closely.

Of course I wouldn't throw everyone on at once. :)

Ok, I have gotten some more fish! I snagged 3 gold barbs and 1 bnp. I have decided to not go with the anglefish. The pictures don't do the fish justice at all. They look great when the light hits them right. My other barb isn't too pleased with his new room mates lol. No signs of aggression, he will hang with them for a few hours than be off by himself. I realize barbs need a larger school but these were all that were available. I'm getting more in a week or two. As for my bnp, he has earned his keep already. something else I have a question about. I had mentioned when I had gotten my fish that I had lost most of my fish to fin rot. I was advised to treat the tank when I got home so I did. The tablets turned the water green( which is what it's sup post to do). How long should I wait to do a large water change to remove the medication? I've attached a pic of the box of tablets I am using.

Attachments

• image-3105206430.jpg
    image-3105206430.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2455062100.jpg
    image-2455062100.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 48
  • image-279808994.jpg
    image-279808994.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 49
are you running carbon in your filter? if so that's striping the meds from your water column. I think that you should post a thread in the sick fish area and see what people suggest to use for fin rot because I have a feeling they would suggest something better

rreekers said:
are you running carbon in your filter? if so that's striping the meds from your water column. I think that you should post a thread in the sick fish area and see what people suggest to use for fin rot because I have a feeling they would suggest something better[/

In my hob filter, I just have the filter pad. I would imagine this has carbon in it? As for the fin rot, all the fish that were infected have passed on:(. I was told to treat the tank because I have 2 fish that survived the fin rot outbreak. And this was just for a prevention, but they seem fine now.

I had a fish rot problem too and melafix healed them so quickly... It says on the bottle to dose for three days when adding new fish... It doesn't change the water color and is made from tea tree oil... I'm not an expert but I trust melafix with my fish... It's helped me so many times

Adangelo100 said:
I had a fish rot problem too and melafix healed them so quickly... It says on the bottle to dose for three days when adding new fish... It doesn't change the water color and is made from tea tree oil... I'm not an expert but I trust melafix with my fish... It's helped me so many times

I personally think melafix (1 and 2.. used for different things) is much better and more reliable that those tetra packs. just my opinion.

Ok, I have gotten some more fish! I snagged 3 gold barbs and 1 bnp. I have decided to not go with the anglefish. The pictures don't do the fish justice at all. They look great when the light hits them right. My other barb isn't too pleased with his new room mates lol. No signs of aggression, he will hang with them for a few hours than be off by himself. I realize barbs need a larger school but these were all that were available. I'm getting more in a week or two. As for my bnp, he has earned his keep already. something else I have a question about. I had mentioned when I had gotten my fish that I had lost most of my fish to fin rot. I was advised to treat the tank when I got home so I did. The tablets turned the water green( which is what it's sup post to do). How long should I wait to do a large water change to remove the medication? I've attached a pic of the box of tablets I am using.
I would strongly advise NOT to use those tetra packs. Whatever the use is, my experiences with them is they don't work, make the problem worse, or cloud the water. I would suggest Melafix or some other product with a good rating.

Back
Top Bottom