Thinking about Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a great guy at the LFS! Sounds like good advice! It's always best to add the most aggressive last - if you already know who it is of course! Get the plants as recommended above an rearrange things a bit - lots of floating plants has save the day in my sorority - then add the mean one back in after a day or two. Good luck!

Thanks lovin fish, I just phoned LFS, the guy was really nice and helpful :) got me to describe exactly what was going on, who's picking on who, how many white spots they have, how I felt about it etc. I'm feeling a lot better now!
He suggested putting the main bossy one in a breeder trap for a few days (time out!), raise the temp a couple of degrees to about 30c and see how it goes. he said to keep Betty in there as she might be better without the bossy purple one being mean! If things don't improve he said I can take which ever ones are problematic back to exchange or could give a credit note (can't say fairer than that).
It's funny but I'm kind of attached to them already (except the purple one!!) I don't want to take them back!

Well that's great! I am glad that you have a LFS that will work with you. Mine is the same way. It is really awesome when you get to try fish out and if it doesn't work, they exchange them for a different fish or set of fish that might work better.
Good luck!!!! In my experience bettas heal rather quickly so you should be on the right track in no time ;)

Oh I hope they're going to be ok! The tank is full of stuff, I would post a pic but the glass is in need of a scrub :D I've broken up a plastic plant so I now have floating plants which the girls seem to like!!
Grumpy purple fish is in her breeder box & seems ok, she ate a couple of pellets earlier and doesn't seem too stressed so I don't feel too bad about leaving her in there for a while.
Betty seems a bit happier, she's coming out a bit more and has a bit of her colour back! I'm wondering if it might be worth going back to see if the other black crowntail who she was hanging out with at the LFS (?sister) is still there, might be good for boosting her confidence & give her a friend. She's such a cute fish!
I think my LFS is fab! Having read other experiences on here, I feel really lucky :) they're called maidenhead aquatics, quite a big company I think. Several if the employees are marine biology students at the local uni so they tend to know they're stuff!!

Oh I hope they're going to be ok! The tank is full of stuff, I would post a pic but the glass is in need of a scrub :D I've broken up a plastic plant so I now have floating plants which the girls seem to like!!
Grumpy purple fish is in her breeder box & seems ok, she ate a couple of pellets earlier and doesn't seem too stressed so I don't feel too bad about leaving her in there for a while.
Betty seems a bit happier, she's coming out a bit more and has a bit of her colour back! I'm wondering if it might be worth going back to see if the other black crowntail who she was hanging out with at the LFS (?sister) is still there, might be good for boosting her confidence & give her a friend. She's such a cute fish!
I think my LFS is fab! Having read other experiences on here, I feel really lucky :) they're called maidenhead aquatics, quite a big company I think. Several if the employees are marine biology students at the local uni so they tend to know they're stuff!!

If she had a buddy at the lfs, if it were me, I'd take grumpy purple back and trade for the black one. But, it's possible as the ladies mature they won't be pals either.

Yeah, that could be a plan! I wont get to lfs until friday so if purple is still acting naughty then, she might just have to go :D

Yeah, that could be a plan! I wont get to lfs until friday so if purple is still acting naughty then, she might just have to go :D

Welll keep us posted! I'd like to know how it turns out. And when you get the glass scrubbed LOL, post some pics! ;) I have been soooo guilty of the same thing and had to get some scrubbing done just for a pic!:whistle:

I've done a bit of scrubbing whilst being attacked by the cheeky girls!
So I've taken a few photos. As you can see, purple is still in her naughty box and Betty is still showing her stripes although she isn't as bad as before.

Attachments

• image-495046990.jpg
    image-495046990.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3138462312.jpg
    image-3138462312.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3236997691.jpg
    image-3236997691.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-45957998.jpg
    image-45957998.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-525658577.jpg
    image-525658577.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 77
Oh what a pretty tank! I really like the arrangement (y) Beautiful girls too :) Thanks for posting pics!

I hada an unexpected day off today, someone needed to swap a shift at short notice so I decided that as pruple has had 2 days in solitary to think things over, I would let her out. Poor Betty didn't know what hit her!:(
She straight away started on her and Betty dived for the big sword plant with purple in persuit!The Blue one (Wanda) who had taken over as top fish (with a more democratic leadership style) then squared up to her flaring her gills and they had a stand off for a couple of minutes with purple taking a few swipes at Wanda so I thought enough is enough, grabbed my net & plastic bag! They were still at it and as I went to put some water in the bag, purple was right at the top flaring at the others so I just scooped her straight into ther bag and off to LFS we went!
The tank I got the girls from is now a lot emptier with far less to choose from than before. I watched them all for ages to see who was playing up and who was being nice. I decided on a new girl who seemed to be mostly minding her own business She has a bit of damage to her tail so I'm keeping her in the 7g until she's fully fit, then I'll put her in with the others. She's quite purple as well, so won't upset my colour scheme!:D
The other tank seems calm again so hopefully order has been restored!!

I hada an unexpected day off today, someone needed to swap a shift at short notice so I decided that as pruple has had 2 days in solitary to think things over, I would let her out. Poor Betty didn't know what hit her!:(
She straight away started on her and Betty dived for the big sword plant with purple in persuit!The Blue one (Wanda) who had taken over as top fish (with a more democratic leadership style) then squared up to her flaring her gills and they had a stand off for a couple of minutes with purple taking a few swipes at Wanda so I thought enough is enough, grabbed my net & plastic bag! They were still at it and as I went to put some water in the bag, purple was right at the top flaring at the others so I just scooped her straight into ther bag and off to LFS we went!
The tank I got the girls from is now a lot emptier with far less to choose from than before. I watched them all for ages to see who was playing up and who was being nice. I decided on a new girl who seemed to be mostly minding her own business She has a bit of damage to her tail so I'm keeping her in the 7g until she's fully fit, then I'll put her in with the others. She's quite purple as well, so won't upset my colour scheme!:D
The other tank seems calm again so hopefully order has been restored!!

Oh wow! Good that you were able to find another purple beauty. Hopefully she will fit right in the hierarchy (sp?). IME bettas heal up pretty good with some TLC. Mine came all sick (given to me by their owner). Healed up in no time!
Nice she was an easy catch! I always just scoop up my bettas too. I love it! Wish I could do the same with all the fish instead of trying to net them. That's always an ordeal with all the plants and decor in the way!

I've enjoyed reading this thread! It's fun to follow a soap opera tank saga all the way.

Lovin Fish said:
Nice she was an easy catch! I always just scoop up my bettas too. I love it! Wish I could do the same with all the fish instead of trying to net them. That's always an ordeal with all the plants and decor in the way!

I use the little cups that I've gotten bettas in to catch fish. No risk of damaging delicate fins that way.
Hooray for restoring order in the tank! I was lucky enough to find two females that get along well and hope to get some more soon. Hopefully I wont pick a menace like purple #1.

I use the little cups that I've gotten bettas in to catch fish. No risk of damaging delicate fins that way.
Hooray for restoring order in the tank! I was lucky enough to find two females that get along well and hope to get some more soon. Hopefully I wont pick a menace like purple #1.

How do you catch the fish with the cups? My fish are crazy fast and excellent at dodging the net just in time. I can't imagine me being successful with a betta cup :rolleyes: I use two nets; one waits behind the plants and the other corals the fish into the still net. For some fish it works like a charm! Others are too smart :)
I scoop my bettas up using 4" tall plastic cups.

I have puffers, which should never be netted or brought into the air so they don't freak out and puff up with air, so I had to learn! I remove as much decor as I can and wait until the fish gets close to a wall, then I do my best to corner it and get the cup pinned to the wall and lift it slowly. The guppies and bettas are easier to just scoop up. You can use a net to herd them into the cup too. Clear cups are easier since they are harder for the fish to see.

I have puffers, which should never be netted or brought into the air so they don't freak out and puff up with air, so I had to learn! I remove as much decor as I can and wait until the fish gets close to a wall, then I do my best to corner it and get the cup pinned to the wall and lift it slowly. The guppies and bettas are easier to just scoop up. You can use a net to herd them into the cup too. Clear cups are easier since they are harder for the fish to see.
Ahhhh...I see. I will try that with the net and cup. I use clear ones for the bettas. I would rather not netting the fish. Somehow, no matter the species, they get fins or tails stuck in the net.

Just expect to get wet! Also, it's best to scoop bettas no matter what, apart from fin damage getting bounced around in a net can cause internal injuries to the swim bladder, or so I've read.

Back
Top Bottom