Thinking about getting a fire eal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard they grow pretty big but it takes a few years. What I was reading online most sites recommend a 20gal. For the first 3 years then to go bigger.

I have a 29 gal now. So i figured that should work for a year till I can find a spot to set up a bigger tank.

So in my tank now I have.

Angle fish
Gorami
Soutamerican puffer
Upside down car
2 glass cats
2 patriot ciclids
Sword tail

Your system cannot take anymore fish. Amonia and nitrite are two of the easier pollutants in a tank that are measurable. There are plenty of unmeasurable waste in your system caused by the bio load of your fishes. The waste impact the health of your fish.

Get a fire eel once you can get a 125+ tank. When the eel gets big, then you will have to separate it and put him in his own large tank or give it away to a LFS.

All of the above is easier said than done.

Terrance said:
Your system cannot take anymore fish. Amonia and nitrite are two of the easier pollutants in a tank that are measurable. There are plenty of unmeasurable waste in your system caused by the bio load of your fishes. The waste impact the health of your fish.

Get a fire eel once you can get a 125+ tank. When the eel gets big, then you will have to separate it and put him in his own large tank or give it away to a LFS.

All of the above is easier said than done.

My tank as been set up like this for a while. I have never had any water issues. And all my levels are perfect.

Try it, it will either work or not. People here are just trying to give you good advice so in the long run you don't waste your money.

My tank as been set up like this for a while. I have never had any water issues. And all my levels are perfect.

The ones you can measure are perfect (ammonia and nitrIte). The ones that you don't measure is not perfect (there are ways to measure them, but its too time consuming or expensive to measure). Not even 50% bi-weekly pwc will help a overstocked tank. More pollutants in a tank means less likelihood of proper long-term health and growth.

Besides cycling, I think overstocking/inadequate tank size is the second biggest problem in this hobby.

What cant I check? I check. Nitrate, nitrie, PH high, PH, amoina. chloramine, phosphate because I have live plans. Copper.

And I check those at lease once a week some times twice

What cant I check? I check. Nitrate, nitrie, PH high, PH, amoina. chloramine, phosphate because I have live plans. Copper.

And I check those at lease once a week some times twice

Dissolved organics is something that is hard to check. NitrAte is suppose to a rough indicator of dissolved organics in a healthy, understocked aquarium. There's no easy way to measure dissolved organics in a overstocked tank.

edit: Oh btw, in addition to dissolved organics, there are other pollutants in water. I can't remember any of them atm.

Back
Top Bottom