thinking about rehoming parrot cichlid, need centerpiece fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having a few minor problems with this fish in my tank. His territory is on the right side if the 55 gallon and he won't let any of the bottom feeders on his side of the tank. So they are all living on half of the tank. He doesnt mind the rainbow fish but chases away the khuli loaches, bristlenose pleco, cories, bolivian ram, and rainbow shark. All of the others coexist on the other side of the tank just fine, however I miss my lively bottom.

So I am going to sell back the parrot cichlid. And I need some ideas for a mid to top swimming centerpiece fish that won't bother all my bottom dwellers. The only thing I can think of is gouramis or angels, any other ideas?

Current stock:
5 turquoise rainbowfish
1 bolivian ram
1 rainbowshark
2 black khuli loaches
5 corys
5 oto's
1 bristlenose pleco
1 gold applesnail
Malaysian trumpet snails
Sand substrate, live plants

If you think I am overtsocked just to note, I have 3 filters. Two AC 50 HOB filters and a canister filter. I also do weekly 50% water changes.

I can't think of anything either... Maybe some silver dollars but I think they can be a bit nippy. Or if you are willing to upgrade in the future I think Bala Sharks would look good! But the angels and the gouramis would probably be the best choice with your current setup!

Have you thought of a different species of rainbowfish? Yellow rainbowfish are very vibrant, and from what I've researched they school with other species. Two neon yellow fish in a school of blue would be very eye attracting, unless you want a different species completely?

I wanted a more solitary non schooling fish... Yes a different species all together.

I really love the personality of the parrot. It was an impulse buy and from what Ive read its 50/50 on their temperament. But my bolivian ram used to own the bottom and now he is isolated and pestered by the parrot, not cool.

Angels might work, their personality is more likely to fit what I like. Just ive done angels and wanted something different.

alright well a local fish store was able to take the parrot cichlid off my hands. My tank is sooo much happier. The fish are enjoying their freedom of the entire tank instead of being isolated on one side.

Any other ideas for mid to top swimming solitary (non schooling) fish that will add some character to this tank without terrorizing my bottom dwellers???

I've had angels in the past, enjoy their personality, but am looking for something different. Gourami's seem to lack personality to me. I've had a few in the past and was never really super excited about them. To be honest, they remind me of cockroaches, with the little tentacles sticking out.

I want something that gets a decent size, not a schooling fish, something that would be ok solitary, mid to top dwelling.

Ideas ideas ideas???

ashleynicole said:
alright well a local fish store was able to take the parrot cichlid off my hands. My tank is sooo much happier. The fish are enjoying their freedom of the entire tank instead of being isolated on one side.

Any other ideas for mid to top swimming solitary (non schooling) fish that will add some character to this tank without terrorizing my bottom dwellers???

I've had angels in the past, enjoy their personality, but am looking for something different. Gourami's seem to lack personality to me. I've had a few in the past and was never really super excited about them. To be honest, they remind me of cockroaches, with the little tentacles sticking out.

I want something that gets a decent size, not a schooling fish, something that would be ok solitary, mid to top dwelling.

Ideas ideas ideas???

I have a pink kissing gourami that loves to explore my tank and is peaceful with all my fish!

Back
Top Bottom