Thinking of buying a Betta or some other fish.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarrKill

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I'm new here to the site/forums and i just thought i would start out by asking a couple questions i have. To let you know, i have owned only freshwater fish before. At the moment i dont have any tanks going. I would like to purchase a male betta, from my local walmart or fish store, and since they have them in small plastic cups, I was wondering, if I have a very large glass container, its not exactly a bowl, its shaped like a brandy drinking glass. But it is not near the size of the ones you drink out of. As ive said, its much bigger. Ok, anyway, I also have a one gallon tank. I personally have only owned goldfish. When i was growing up my parents owned a large tank and had a male betta, neon tetra's, and probably some various others that i dont remember. I would really like to purchase a male betta and i was wondering that since they are just in bowls in the store if it is ok to have them in bowls at home. With the bowls being much larger of course. With my one gallon tank i would like to put a bunch of neon tetra's and if they have them around here, the strawberry colored tetra's. Perhaps i would do goldfish or some other small freshwater fish instead. Since im not very skilled in "collecting" fish, anyone that has some advice to share, would be a great help. Thanks.

Bettas are fine for that size of a container. However, a one gallon tank is very small for a "bunch of tetras." I'd only keep a Betta and one really small fish in a tank that size. If you want a few tetras, I'd get at least a 5.5.

-j

What do you think about the glass container that isnt an actual tank for the betta? In the one gallon tank what about one goldfish and three to five tetra's? Thank you for the advice.

The glass is fine for the betta. It might look nice even. :) They don't need a current or much water, since they breathe air as well (in fact, if they don't get to breathe air, they could drown).

I'm trying to picture those fish in a milk jug and deciding how much room they'd have. The general rule is an inch of fish per gallon, so even two tetras according to that rule would be bad. I'd wager if you took REALLY REALLY good care of your water conditions, you could get away with a goldfish and three tetras. The problem, though, is not the size of the fish as much as the byproducts of the fish. Ammonia is quite harmful to them, and fish waste produces ammonia. Which reminds me...if you listen to nothing else I say, listen to this: do NOT put them all in the tank the day you set it up. :) Set it up and let it run for a couple weeks. Then I'd start out with a goldfish and let him live in there for a little while. After the compounds (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) have settled, add a neon. I'd add them slowly because 4 fish in such a small place will spike hard.

-j

Thanks. Wow, I've really learned a lot. And I only signed up to this forum last night. I never knew that taking care of the common fish were as complicated as the other ones. I didn't realize that all those compounds you talked about were important even in the tinyest of tanks. But I guess that makes sense, the more crowded the tank, the more waste. Thanks. :)

Ok, scratch the one gallon tank. I looked in the closet where i kept all my old fish supplies, and i found the hood for the tank, but.....no tank. I think my mom gave it to one of her friends. (grrrr........) Anyway, Im still going to go out tonight and purchase a male betta and but it in the glass. I'll take a picture of it and put it up when all is in order. As for my little tetra friends, they will have to wait until i get the budget to buy another tank. And instead of getting a 1 gallon, perhaps i will splurge and get a 5.5 gallon. (wow, this is really fun and exciting) :D

got my betta and put him in his bowl. his name is Bob. yeah, i know its a lame name, but i couldnt think of anything else. hehehe....oh well, at least he is doing well.

10 gal bare bones tank $9 at Walmart. Piece of plexy with your light over it. It's a start. You only need a heater and a filter after that.

Goldfish and most other fish don't really mix well. Goldfish prefer unheated water. Them sensative little tetras will die if the water stays below 75 for too long.

Small tanks go through some pretty drastic ammonia and nitrite spikes during cycling. You might want to start with a couple of zebra danios. They are cheap. Usually under a dollar each. And they are much less sensative to bad water chemistry than tetras.

I used to have an oscar named Oscar. Now that is dumb. hahahaha :D

actually, i think thats kinda cute that you named your oscar, Oscar. heheh :mrgreen:
yeah, i might get a tank here pretty soon. have to read up on cycling and whatnot before hand though, so i dont kill 'em all.

Back
Top Bottom