Thinking of converting to sand bottom...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was just considering the idea of converting to sand as substrate rather than gravel. I was just looking for some input as to what kind, etc. I have never had a sand bottom before, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I also use pool filter sand. It's heavy so you don't have to really worry about it getting sucked up into the filter. And its very cheap

also if you got some MTS you don't have to worry as much about stirring it up because they do it for you :)

i just switched 2 of my tanks to sand and i love it. i also use pool filter sand and have had no problems with my filters. it is usually a real nice white colour but u can also get brown stuff. it cost me $7.50 for 50 pounds of it so cheaper is an understatement compared to aquarium sand. what size of tank are u converting? also what kind of fish? if you have fish that produce alot of waste u wont want to get the white stuff and would be better off with a darker coloured aquarium sand. hth

I use pool filter sand myself....it has it's pros and cons. Cons - You get a diatom algae build up if you don't do frequent water changes and mix the sand well. Compared to regular gravel, vaccuming is a pain in the butt. Other then that....I like it.

Not 100% sure what type of sand i've got as i had it specially ordered in for me and didnt have any labels or anything on the bag, but it's a dark grey and was really cheap, had to get a 10kg bag of the stuff dnt think it cost me much more than a tenner...

I prefer it, any waste sits on the top, i dnt find vacuming that much of a problem, waving it in little circles works well for me, also i've got MTS so no stirring required :)

oh and plants love it!

pool filter sand seems to be the most popular choice (I think its easy to find for most people) but some members use sand blasting grit/sand.. and they produse a black version of it.. (travis_simons has some in his 125 ARLC planted tank) HTH

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have some new plans for my tank, just a matter of waiting on another paycheck now, lol. I have decided to switch to sand-bottom, and take a stab at a planted tank with a DIY CO2 system. A buddy of mine, Jrp1588, made a homemade CO2 system, so I can probably get him to help me out. I know I saw a CO2 system for sale at my lfs, I think it was a Hagen brand for about 30 bucks. Does anyone know if this works well or not? Do you think a DIY system would be better? TIA

DIY does the same thing. Much cheaper and works just as well. It is not hard to do. I did it and I can barely change a light bulb.

I think the DIY CO2 system thats advised here is better engineered then the hagan system.. the gas seperatior in the system is something the hagan's system doesnt come with, and a few problems have come up here on the board were having one would have prevented the problem in the fist place.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom