This a good 10g freshwater community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sholi

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 male lyretail guppies
3 female fancy guppies
1 female swordtail

with 2 yougn java fern, soon to grow big

Any aggression or anything?

I would reconsider the swordtail. They could possibly do well in a 10g, but they really need more than that. It will survive, sure, but it would be much happier with more acreage as they can be quite active.

IMO swordtails do better in groups of 4 or 5 with only one male, otherwise one male will be killed by the other one.

Swordtails absolutely need a minimum of a 29 gallon tank. A full grown 3-4" livebearer has a bio-load much too large for a 10 gallon tank, nor would it provide them proper swimming space.

siva said:
Swordtails absolutely need a minimum of a 29 gallon tank. A full grown 3-4" livebearer has a bio-load much too large for a 10 gallon tank, nor would it provide them proper swimming space.

Very good advice. I have swords. One male and 3 females in a 55 gallon. They swim so much, I couldn't imagine them in a small tank. As a result I also have about 15 fry. They are good breeders, so that would compound your issue. When my fry are bigger, I am going to give away or trade most of them.

Just be aware that if you have females in there, you will have fry soon. Im pretty sure the person above me is good though.... 55 gallons should offer enough room for fry to hide in. Lol. Unless you don't wanna keep the fry... then you could just let them get eaten

Yes, thank you everyonhe, instead of getting a swordtail, i'll just buy another female guppy instead of a swordtail. :)

sholi said:
Yes, thank you everyonhe, instead of getting a swordtail, i'll just buy another female guppy instead of a swordtail. :)

K. Do u have a plan for fry if u want to keep them?

yeah, i know what to do with them. :) Knowing that lyretails and fancies will breed swallowtails, i think imma keep those pretty babies.

Back
Top Bottom