This + Aqueon water changer = awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silthrim

Aquarium Advice Regular
Put this little doohickey together tonight to help with water changes. It is awesome. It's not originally my idea as I got it from a YouTube video but it rocks. Drain off back deck and then attach to faucet and bam. I love not worrying about the hose falling out of the tank.

2x 1"x12" PVC
1x 1"x3"?? PVC for attaching the two elbows
2x 1" 90deg elbows
1x 1" tee
1x nylon 1" threaded, 1/2 inch barb piece
- Teflon tape or similar sealer
X feet of 1/2 inch inner diameter hosing.

I'm using 20 feet of hosing from Home Depot in this picture but I use the Aqueon WC hosing (50 ft) for my other tank downstairs.

EDIT: This is where I got the idea from. As you can see, he also got the idea from somebody else lol:
Yay!

Attachments

• image-1282179150.jpg
    image-1282179150.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 217
Very nice! I have a project for tomorrow. Some mesh added and it will even be fry safe.

HN1 said:
Very nice! I have a project for tomorrow. Some mesh added and it will even be fry safe.

That's what I was thinking, just some mesh over the ends and it would be completely safe! I've read about so many people accidentally sucking up their fish with a normal siphon, cant imagine them going into the sink rather than a bucket! Lol Great idea, I'll definitely be building one when I get my larger tank going.

Well it just worked successfully to do a pwc on each of my tanks. Even when the fish got near the opening they didn't show any signs of being pulled into the siphon. I definitely could add some mesh to make it 100% safe (good idea!).

See the attachment for what is what is stuck into the end of the pipe to hold the hose. Keep in mind that isn't an actual picture of the proper sizes. I used 1 inch PVC and 1/2 inch hose (1/2 barb). There is probably a much better way to do this part but I didn't really care. I put a bunch of teflon tape on the threads but it occasionally drips a bit. I probably could hot glue it or something.

It was like $10 for all of the supplies at Home Depot. It's pretty neat!

Attachments

• barbthreaded.jpg
    barbthreaded.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 206
This is a great idea!!! Now i dont have to close the lid and pile rocks on lol!!

Indeed! Such a simple bit of pipe but I couldn't stand trying to keep my hose in the tank without it popping out or something.

Silthrim said:
Put this little doohickey together tonight to help with water changes. It is awesome. It's not originally my idea as I got it from a YouTube video but it rocks. Drain off back deck and then attach to faucet and bam. I love not worrying about the hose falling out of the tank.

2x 1"x12" PVC
1x 1"x3"?? PVC for attaching the two elbows
2x 1" 90deg elbows
1x 1" tee
1x nylon 1" threaded, 1/2 inch barb piece
- Teflon tape or similar sealer
X feet of 1/2 inch inner diameter hosing.

I'm using 20 feet of hosing from Home Depot in this picture but I use the Aqueon WC hosing (50 ft) for my other tank downstairs.

EDIT: This is where I got the idea from. As you can see, he also got the idea from somebody else lol:
Yay!

I'm making one! So handy

Yeah that would definitely work. I couldn't the right size. They only had that for 1.5" and 3/4". Who does that :p

Back
Top Bottom