This breaks my heart.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
At a Xmas party and I'm not really gonna get into it with these people. Not my friends my wife's. The lady is telling me that "stitch" will be 2 years old!! How can this be? Doesn't this right here go against everything were taught and everything we read?!?!

Seriously?!?! I'm curbing my tongue ONLY because it the wife's friends and co workers. Not even in my state so yeah I could get a little loud. But I won't :(

I have to maintain, after all I'm an elected official so I need to.

It's just sad!! This fish is beautiful! Probably about 4-5 inches!!

View attachment 67086

View attachment 67087

View attachment 67088

Last edited:
Two years old? .. maybe ... happy? ... hmm .. maybe .... healthy? hmmm ... BIGGER maybe. Unfortunately, not too uncommon.

You know, I've wondered the same thing. I know, personally, that when I was little that my goldfish got replaced and then my parents got tired of taking care of the fish, so I guess when the third one died they didn't replace it and said it ran away. So, the goldfish in a bowl didn't work for me.

But, a chick in my science/math classes has a goldfish from her sister's wedding that she keeps in a small bowl and has had it for probably a year now (tried educating her, but didn't work). Anyway, I think it probably has to do with how strong goldfish are? Like, they lucked out with a super hardy one? I'm really curious to hear someone's educated answer to you. So, I'm following.

Or maybe they are just claiming its been alive this long and have been replacing it when it dies?

Who knows. She was telling me pretty soon will be 2 years. She said she did get a bigger bowl! BIG deal!! :(

Oh well... Not the time or place for this. I'm just gonna have a glass of wine and maybe kidnap it!! :)

My first pet was a fantail named Daphne. I kept her in a 1 gallon bowl for 3 or 4 years before moving her into a 3 gallon bedside tank for an additional 5 or 6 years before I got my second pet, which happened to be a kitty. Kitty liked fishy a little too much... Of course this was before I had a clue about anything and, unfortunately, this experience didn't teach me anything good. I expect that many people have similar experiences, and it only reinforces their belief that their fish are happy and healthy. Of course, in the general public, a 3-year-old goldfish is ancient, and a 10-year-old nearly makes the paper.

I understand that most people can't grasp the necessity of proper fish care, but it's painfully obvious to me that no creature could live an enriching life in such a tiny space, and I just can't understand how people cannot see that. Then again, to them, "It's just a fish." :(

I feel for you having to remain polite. It's sweet of you to care about the poor fish. Perhaps you could drop useful info into the conversation about all you have learned on AA. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom