Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
New stand would be my vote but plywood will suffice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mkay. I'll see what I can do budget wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
^+1^ with sin and brook!
Plywood or a new stand.
Take a long look at the support(sides) of the stand as they are made of same ****!
A 2x4 or two in each corner of stand can long way if it is needed and possible.

Alright I'll look into this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
My arms are fully stretched as I say.. "Frankenstein stand..muhahhaha"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree. I'd go the plywood route only if the sides are still intact and there are no soft spots in them. Any damage and I'd be going with a new stand. No sense waking up to a loud crash or a fast leak one day. ( been there, done that. )
As for stand types, if you can get solid wood, that's great. Angel iron stands are also long lived stands ( Better, in my opinion). I currently have one in use that was my Grandmother's so it's over 50 years old. The only thing I've done to it was repaint with rustolium after it held saltwater tanks for a few years. Just make sure you get one designed for Aquariums and not a plant stand ( which are not made to hold the weight. )

Hope this helps

Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I have to agree. I'd go the plywood route only if the sides are still intact and there are no soft spots in them. Any damage and I'd be going with a new stand. No sense waking up to a loud crash or a fast leak one day. ( been there, done that. )
As for stand types, if you can get solid wood, that's great. Angel iron stands are also long lived stands ( Better, in my opinion). I currently have one in use that was my Grandmother's so it's over 50 years old. The only thing I've done to it was repaint with rustolium after it held saltwater tanks for a few years. Just make sure you get one designed for Aquariums and not a plant stand ( which are not made to hold the weight. )

Hope this helps

Thanks a ton Andy! This certainly helped.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello again, I've got one last question if you guys are still around. How long do you think I have until somethin really really needs to get done. I'm likely going to be selling the entire set up in 3-4 months, think she can make it?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Hello again, I've got one last question if you guys are still around. How long do you think I have until somethin really really needs to get done. I'm likely going to be selling the entire set up in 3-4 months, think she can make it?
I would think so, but I think the risk outweighs everything else. You can always sell the stand with the setup.
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That really can't be answered. How bad is the structural integrity? If it's good, it could last. If it's bad, it could go tomorrow. You just don't know with these things. Better off, in my eyes, doing some kind of fix than losing the whole deal because of a cracked or broken tank that fell through the stand.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the important question here is where did the moisture come from? do you spill on a regular basis or is the tank seeping on the bottom? If its just from spillage then just replace the stand as everyone else said.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
That really can't be answered. How bad is the structural integrity? If it's good, it could last. If it's bad, it could go tomorrow. You just don't know with these things. Better off, in my eyes, doing some kind of fix than losing the whole deal because of a cracked or broken tank that fell through the stand.

Thanks Andy! I'm hopefully going to try and get the selling ball rolling very soon. I will look into a fix, then I'm going to host an AA stand-burning party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
I think the important question here is where did the moisture come from? do you spill on a regular basis or is the tank seeping on the bottom? If its just from spillage then just replace the stand as everyone else said.

Not on a regular basis no, but there is the occasional splatter during water changes but I do wipe em up within around a minute or a little less of it happening.

I'm beginning to think maybe the time I dropped the bucket of water for the water change. Twice. First time the whole darn bucket second time around half of the water spilled out. Whoops.

If I sell the tank not only will my first official act of congress be to burn it but I will also buy a python. Friggin bucket methodÖ

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com