Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
New stand would be my vote but plywood will suffice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mkay. I'll see what I can do budget wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
^+1^ with sin and brook!
Plywood or a new stand.
Take a long look at the support(sides) of the stand as they are made of same ****!
A 2x4 or two in each corner of stand can long way if it is needed and possible.

Alright I'll look into this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
My arms are fully stretched as I say.. "Frankenstein stand..muhahhaha"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol.
__________________

__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,083
I have to agree. I'd go the plywood route only if the sides are still intact and there are no soft spots in them. Any damage and I'd be going with a new stand. No sense waking up to a loud crash or a fast leak one day. ( been there, done that. )
As for stand types, if you can get solid wood, that's great. Angel iron stands are also long lived stands ( Better, in my opinion). I currently have one in use that was my Grandmother's so it's over 50 years old. The only thing I've done to it was repaint with rustolium after it held saltwater tanks for a few years. Just make sure you get one designed for Aquariums and not a plant stand ( which are not made to hold the weight. )

Hope this helps
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I have to agree. I'd go the plywood route only if the sides are still intact and there are no soft spots in them. Any damage and I'd be going with a new stand. No sense waking up to a loud crash or a fast leak one day. ( been there, done that. )
As for stand types, if you can get solid wood, that's great. Angel iron stands are also long lived stands ( Better, in my opinion). I currently have one in use that was my Grandmother's so it's over 50 years old. The only thing I've done to it was repaint with rustolium after it held saltwater tanks for a few years. Just make sure you get one designed for Aquariums and not a plant stand ( which are not made to hold the weight. )

Hope this helps

Thanks a ton Andy! This certainly helped.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Hello again, I've got one last question if you guys are still around. How long do you think I have until somethin really really needs to get done. I'm likely going to be selling the entire set up in 3-4 months, think she can make it?
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
sinibotia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 3,906
Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Hello again, I've got one last question if you guys are still around. How long do you think I have until somethin really really needs to get done. I'm likely going to be selling the entire set up in 3-4 months, think she can make it?
I would think so, but I think the risk outweighs everything else. You can always sell the stand with the setup.
__________________
Got a question about loaches? Ask me!
Loach count: 22
Baby fish count: 12 (multis)
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,083
That really can't be answered. How bad is the structural integrity? If it's good, it could last. If it's bad, it could go tomorrow. You just don't know with these things. Better off, in my eyes, doing some kind of fix than losing the whole deal because of a cracked or broken tank that fell through the stand.
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mikem691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,673
I think the important question here is where did the moisture come from? do you spill on a regular basis or is the tank seeping on the bottom? If its just from spillage then just replace the stand as everyone else said.
__________________
mikem691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
That really can't be answered. How bad is the structural integrity? If it's good, it could last. If it's bad, it could go tomorrow. You just don't know with these things. Better off, in my eyes, doing some kind of fix than losing the whole deal because of a cracked or broken tank that fell through the stand.


Thanks Andy! I'm hopefully going to try and get the selling ball rolling very soon. I will look into a fix, then I'm going to host an AA stand-burning party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
I think the important question here is where did the moisture come from? do you spill on a regular basis or is the tank seeping on the bottom? If its just from spillage then just replace the stand as everyone else said.

Not on a regular basis no, but there is the occasional splatter during water changes but I do wipe em up within around a minute or a little less of it happening.

I'm beginning to think maybe the time I dropped the bucket of water for the water change. Twice. First time the whole darn bucket second time around half of the water spilled out. Whoops.

If I sell the tank not only will my first official act of congress be to burn it but I will also buy a python. Friggin bucket methodÖ
__________________

__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good lighting / good deal? catmel General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 6 08-11-2008 07:04 PM
Fish are good Water results are good fishygurl Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 01-19-2006 10:54 AM
Can't be good can it? Les Paul Saltwater & Reef - Identification 2 06-26-2005 10:28 PM
Limited Budget: Good lights or good filter??? Swank Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 03-18-2004 10:49 PM
Puffer=good or bad? Elephant nose= good or bad? freshwatergal Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 12-12-2003 01:27 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.