This can't be good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think this is very good...anyone know what's up? And solutions and suggestions would be great too lol.

Mehhh.. it's fallapartical board doing its thing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mehhh.. it's fallapartical board doing its thing...

So should I be worried? I was doing a water change when I saw it and almost dropped the bucket and did awful things in my pants...

Hahah.. aweful things that we do not talk about:p it's just the laminate lifting from prolonged exposure to moisture. Funny thing is the material they make Aquarium stands out if is probably the least resilient to moisture.. go figure..
Plus side is the core of your stand is intact and ready for work.. may be in its/your best interest to push for early retirement though. Or... get a piece of 3/4" plywood between the tank and stand..

Hahah.. aweful things that we do not talk about:p it's just the laminate lifting from prolonged exposure to moisture. Funny thing is the material they make Aquarium stands out if is probably the least resilient to moisture.. go figure..
Plus side is the core of your stand is intact and ready for work.. may be in its/your best interest to push for early retirement though. Or... get a piece of 3/4" plywood between the tank and stand..

So get a new stand or put the plywood? That's what I got out of it anyway...

I laughed so hard at this; it's so true. As ugly as they are, this is why I use metal stands. I agree with Brookster, I would put some plywood in there.

Thanks! I'll have to work in this project in an open weekend.

New stand would be my vote but plywood will suffice.

I laughed so hard at this; it's so true. As ugly as they are, this is why I use metal stands. I agree with Brookster, I would put some plywood in there.
^+1^ with sin and brook!
Plywood or a new stand.
Take a long look at the support(sides) of the stand as they are made of same ****!
A 2x4 or two in each corner of stand can long way if it is needed and possible.

^+1^ with sin and brook!
Plywood or a new stand.
Take a long look at the support(sides) of the stand as they are made of same ****!

My arms are fully stretched as I say.. "Frankenstein stand..muhahhaha"

New stand would be my vote but plywood will suffice.

Mkay. I'll see what I can do budget wise.

^+1^ with sin and brook!
Plywood or a new stand.

Alright I'll look into this!

My arms are fully stretched as I say.. "Frankenstein stand..muhahhaha"

Lol.

I have to agree. I'd go the plywood route only if the sides are still intact and there are no soft spots in them. Any damage and I'd be going with a new stand. No sense waking up to a loud crash or a fast leak one day. ( been there, done that. :eek: )
As for stand types, if you can get solid wood, that's great. Angel iron stands are also long lived stands ( Better, in my opinion). I currently have one in use that was my Grandmother's so it's over 50 years old. The only thing I've done to it was repaint with rustolium after it held saltwater tanks for a few years. Just make sure you get one designed for Aquariums and not a plant stand ( which are not made to hold the weight. )

Hope this helps (y)

I have to agree. I'd go the plywood route only if the sides are still intact and there are no soft spots in them. Any damage and I'd be going with a new stand. No sense waking up to a loud crash or a fast leak one day. ( been there, done that. :eek: )
As for stand types, if you can get solid wood, that's great. Angel iron stands are also long lived stands ( Better, in my opinion). I currently have one in use that was my Grandmother's so it's over 50 years old. The only thing I've done to it was repaint with rustolium after it held saltwater tanks for a few years. Just make sure you get one designed for Aquariums and not a plant stand ( which are not made to hold the weight. )

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks a ton Andy! This certainly helped.

Hello again, I've got one last question if you guys are still around. How long do you think I have until somethin really really needs to get done. I'm likely going to be selling the entire set up in 3-4 months, think she can make it?

Hello again, I've got one last question if you guys are still around. How long do you think I have until somethin really really needs to get done. I'm likely going to be selling the entire set up in 3-4 months, think she can make it?

I would think so, but I think the risk outweighs everything else. You can always sell the stand with the setup.

That really can't be answered. How bad is the structural integrity? If it's good, it could last. If it's bad, it could go tomorrow. You just don't know with these things. Better off, in my eyes, doing some kind of fix than losing the whole deal because of a cracked or broken tank that fell through the stand. :whistle:

I think the important question here is where did the moisture come from? do you spill on a regular basis or is the tank seeping on the bottom? If its just from spillage then just replace the stand as everyone else said.

That really can't be answered. How bad is the structural integrity? If it's good, it could last. If it's bad, it could go tomorrow. You just don't know with these things. Better off, in my eyes, doing some kind of fix than losing the whole deal because of a cracked or broken tank that fell through the stand. :whistle:

Thanks Andy! I'm hopefully going to try and get the selling ball rolling very soon. I will look into a fix, then I'm going to host an AA stand-burning party!

I think the important question here is where did the moisture come from? do you spill on a regular basis or is the tank seeping on the bottom? If its just from spillage then just replace the stand as everyone else said.

Not on a regular basis no, but there is the occasional splatter during water changes but I do wipe em up within around a minute or a little less of it happening.

I'm beginning to think maybe the time I dropped the bucket of water for the water change. Twice. First time the whole darn bucket second time around half of the water spilled out. Whoops.

If I sell the tank not only will my first official act of congress be to burn it but I will also buy a python. Friggin bucket method…

Back
Top Bottom