This is not to become an arguement just good discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

how much do u use??

• 3-5 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10 times

• 10-15 times

• Total voters

megladonsharky

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much filtration is what you use and why...

I use 10-15 x because some folks that have kept fish a long time told me more is better...

I'm assuming for the sake of discussion that you are talking about the rated flow rate of a filter and not the actual rate. While I use sponge filters on most of my tanks, my two largest have power filters on them with a Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 rated at 11x the capacity of the tank it filters and a Penguin BIO-Wheel 170 rated at just under 6x the capacity on another tank. I used to reduce the flow on the 330 because the currents seemed too fast. I think the 330 does a great job of keeping the tank clean and my fish must love it because they keep spawning in there.

This thread seems like a topic I might have addressed somewhere else.. I personally think anything over 8X is excessive.. only in very few cases could I think of using more flow from the filter itself.. If you need water movement in "dead areas" the excess coming from the filter could be a detriment to this.. JMHO.. I was schooled a long time ago that 5X was the way to go on everything.. That would be for normal stocking levels wich were less then 1" per gallon.. over 1" per gallon was just asking for trouble in this school of thought..
for normal bio-load conditions 5X is plenty in my book.. high bio-load conditions 8X.. JMO on the subject..

So if I am using a Cascade 1000 (270 gph) and Cascade 1200 (315 gph) that would be 585 gph for a 150 gal tank. That's only 3.9 times per hour, but it is adequate filtration for a tank full of Africans. I couldn't imagine trying to get 1500 gph on that tank. I would need 4 of the largest Cascade filters. A little excessive I would think.

I have.....maybe, if I'm lucky, a 2X tank volume on my 30 gallon. I have.....a 0 x tank volume on my 20 gal. :p I have....a 2x tank volume on my 10 gal.

Enough said 8)

JMO but as long as the current isn't excessive, it isn't possible to over filter a tank. :wink:

I use just over 10x on my goldfish tank. It's needed... or so I've been told. The current isn't too much for the fish. They just know not to swim right under the return. I selected the 3rd option.

for me it depends on the kind of fish. for some of my fancy goldfish, excessive current is hard on them so I try to keep it lower. for my cichlids who can withstand a stronger current, I'll put a stronger filter on. 3-5 is what most of mine are. some are only 2. and some are used in conjuction with sponge filters.

Fishyfanatic said:
So if I am using a Cascade 1000 (270 gph) and Cascade 1200 (315 gph) that would be 585 gph for a 150 gal tank. That's only 3.9 times per hour, but it is adequate filtration for a tank full of Africans. I couldn't imagine trying to get 1500 gph on that tank. I would need 4 of the largest Cascade filters. A little excessive I would think.

I would just build a sump type filter for a tank that size full of africans..
Canisters dont really have to cycle as many times, they have alot more media..

I'm not interested in a sump at this point. Why waste the canisters that I already have. Maybe some time down the road when we get more tanks where they will be usable. They are great canisters and I don't want them to go to waste.

FMJ- Considering they give off a pretty good current in my tank the way it is, I could only imagine how it would be in a 29 gal tank. Those goldies would be on a roller coaster all day long. :D

lol, very true. Partially why I didn't get one to start out with.

I could put it on my shelf and admire what a great person you are for giving it to me though. :wink:

I use 10x plus per hour myself and EVERY bit of it is needed on an oscar tank.
I use an oceanclear canister filter and a 2000gph pump.

Actually FM, if you pay shipping, I will send you my brand new one that is still in the box about ready to be used on the 55 gal when it's set up. The shipping price would be about $85. :D

Back
Top Bottom