This is what happens when you don't temperature match...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got pulled away from the sink as I was setting up the water changer to fill my tank. I thought I had checked the water temperature long enough before leaving it. I had not.

The tank's water temperature had dropped 10° before I noticed. I lost most of my fish. Interestingly, the longfin gold danios all made it ok. My beautiful angelfish did not.

That is too bad.
Danios are cold/cool water fish.
If your tank was 10 degrees cooler after filling then your water was EVEN colder, as the tank water at proper temp had some warming effect on new water. 10 degrees was how it ended up not how it went in IMO.
Sorry about your fish.

That is too bad.
Danios are cold/cool water fish.
If your tank was 10 degrees cooler after filling then your water was EVEN colder, as the tank water at proper temp had some warming effect on new water. 10 degrees was how it ended up not how it went in IMO.
Sorry about your fish.

Yeah I guess it was even colder. The tank was nearly empty as I had done a heavy water change. Thanks.

Thanks for posting as everyone can learn from things like this! Sorry about your little guys :-(

Thanks for posting

Yes everyone can learn from it and feel better about the mistakes they have made:angel:

Got pulled away from the sink as I was setting up the water changer to fill my tank. I thought I had checked the water temperature long enough before leaving it. I had not.

The tank's water temperature had dropped 10° before I noticed. I lost most of my fish. Interestingly, the longfin gold danios all made it ok. My beautiful angelfish did not.

Sad news :(

Out of interest how large the water change? What was lowest temp?

I have two heaters running in my tank now and I've found getting them going straight after a pwc really helps. One heater only or me ducking down to shops to get plants without finishing pwc / turning power back on, I found caused problems.

I'm sorry to hear about your fish :( it's an honest mistake im sure nearly everyone has made.... I know I have done this but luckily my betta is very hardy. as cliché as it sounds; learn from it. it's sucks but it isn't something you will do again.

So...
Before I got my Python system, I would refill my tank one quart at a time. I set up my heaters so that they are low and horizontal. I don't turn them off because they are never out of water. Fills are a lot faster now, but I never changed the heater situation.

I forgot to keep an eye on the bucket I siphon water into once... you can imagine the outcome!!!! now I siphon out of the window haha

Thanks for empathizing, I think I've made all the mistakes now. I do try to share them on this forum so that others learn too.

Thanks for empathizing, I think I've made all the mistakes now. I do try to share them on this forum so that others learn too.
I've definatly have had my share of mistakes. I've only been fish keeping since November so no doubt I'll make more! but you sharing our mistakes does help others (or at the very least it taught me something I had not considered before, and how cold water can be an immediate danger).

Back
Top Bottom