This is why Plecos NEED a BIG BIG BIG tank.....come look..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
94204Large_Pleco-med.JPG

102814918_4d.JPG

gibbeceps/sailfins are freakishly ugly -

8O DOH! :crazyeyes:

Well that's the biggest I've ever seen.
And my LFS has some good size ones.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Plecos are a gorgeous specie. Some think they look weird but I love the body shape.

Satsumas I just inhereted a tank that came with a 10 incher who couldn't really be kept. I took him into the lfs yesterday and he most definitely was not calm out of the water :lol: It took two of us to get him out of the tank and into the bucket for the trip.

fishyfinatic, I love them because I think they are weird ;) I just got one of these: farlowella vittata. Talk about strange looking. My lfs totally were like 'yeah easy to keep, stays small.' :roll: they were half right anyway and my bf has started calling him twiggy so I think I'll give it my best shot.

Hmmmmmmmmm .... I assume those fish were out "in the wild" and were released from someones tank. Are there any native NA plecos ?

Plecos are from SA, so any you find farther north were released.

Pretty fish. I'm not sure I'd have the courage to pick one up though. Mine is 13", and he's a brute.

I just sold my 12 incher. They are strong! He was holding himself up by his pectoral fins in the styrofoam. He went all rigid until I poured water into the container to top it off. Then he went a bit crazy.
I was sorry to see him go.

the pleco looks pretty dead in the second pic, its a shame if they killed it, especially because chances are, they dont eat pleco

Many areas they are nuisance species and are taken by bow. I think I have heard people also gig them. Another great addition to our native waterways. :roll:

Lepomis said:
Many areas they are nuisance species and are taken by bow. I think I have heard people also gig them. Another great addition to our native waterways. :roll:

nuisance, what are they going to do, eat stuff you throw in the water?

gig them?

Plecos are a cool fish. I had a 7" common a little while ago. He was my favorite. That big boy is simply marvelous. He looks quite trusting too! I hope they released him after the photo of her trophy...

I live near the Niagara river, and there are several local clubs who go snorkeling and scuba diving of the river bottom. They say that they have seen good size tropical fish like big cichlids and such near the intake pipes for the hydroelectric plant. The pipes have seals on them, allowing only water through for fear of catching any large plants and such int he machinery. The water around the pipes is warm from the powerplant, causing them to congregate. Sorta interesting I suppose

I have seen longer in my LFS, not as wide but definately longer. And as far as eating them a friend of mine has just come back from thailand and they sold them on cooked on sticks for $10. the thai's eat them like candy..... and anything else with its back to the sun!
He knew his fish too, he's a aquarium shop manager. Awe some fish to keep. I recently sold my 14' gibbecep plec for $220... he was in a 240 gal.

They fish for them with a bow? Man, in South America you can catch them like in the picture, but never anything you would bother trying for with a bow. I've caught them in Río de la Plata, and I know that you can catch them all the way up into the Amazon in Brasil. I'm not sure what a record size would be, but the one I caught was a little smaller than the one in the picture. It kind of looked the same, but the back was a little more hunched.

My friends from Brazil say that they catch plecos and pacus in the river all the time.

I have a Pacu and a pleco, they say they'd like to eat the Pacu as they taste pretty good, the plecos they just throw back.

How do you sell 14" plecos? I would think you couldn't find anyone to take them if you were giving them away.

Go to www.plecofanatics.com and keep refreshing that page until the HUGE Plecos come up. They put those two above to shame.

I just love plecos. Some are so ugly only a mother could love while others it's hard not to find someone that goes "wow". One day I will have a very large tank to raise the biggest ones.

A store near my parents has two large common plecos for sale. The largest is nearly easily 12" if not close to 15". $25 and he can be yours. The second is closer to 10-12" for $20.

Back
Top Bottom