This Just Isn't Right...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
img_757196_0_ff4cda6df53f7d372e671660e2c56404.jpg

Take a look at what PetSmart lists as the maximum size.

Yep, they like to do things like that alot. It's the same with all of their labeling. Most of the labeling at the one by me says that Balla sharks only get six inches. Good price for the loach though.

I think they're correct about the max size being 7". That's because I can't imagine a clown loach would live long enough to get to that size in a 10 gallon.

:O That's horrendous. Has anyone tried reporting them? There must be laws to selling livestock, and trade descriptions acts like we have over here in the UK? UK Trading Standards would be on them like a ton of bricks for intentionally misleading customers... :S

Alternatively, if there's no cctv or people watching, someone should go correct it by writing on it with a permanent black marker ;-) lol!

It's all about money for them at the end of the day they don't care. The fish is open to more people so the chances of a sale are greatly increased. That or they just don't know anything about fish, and i do sometimes wander at my LFS.

I bet some people will buy 4 or 5 to 'keep each other company' in the 10gallon. It's just a shame that the buyer is 9/10 not asked questions and is also advised incorrectly, wasting the customers money and giving the fish the wrong environment to live in.

Why don't employers see that the labels are wrong and change them?
I know that if i was working there i would at least tell someone who could change it.

Satsumas said:
Why don't employers see that the labels are wrong and change them?
I know that if i was working there i would at least tell someone who could change it.
i have yet to meet a Petsmart/Petco employ who would know that that was wrong :? all they know is how to scoop and bag. i couple tell lots of story but i think you all can guess. :(

There is a petsmart by my office that has gotten a clue. They've put stickies over the dwarf puffer tags that say "semi-aggressive", hiding "tropical community", 12" + 75G on bala sharks and several other sensible things.

Sadly, I haven't run into the sales person that put up the sign yet... The people I've talked to there are the run of the mill employees.

From what I understand from the noclownsinacube guy's postings on another list, PetsMart has started to be open to the idea of talking about this, and even doing something about it.

They do have a good record of generous giving to homeless animals. PetsMart is still a big corporation and at the end of the day are in it to make money, but for such an entity they seem to want to do the right thing to a great degree.

It's good to hear that Petsmart is, at the very least, trying. You guys should come over to our LPS/LFS here in the Philippines. No information on the tanks, just scientific names (sometimes wrong) and trade names. They'll sell you an alligator gar and some goldfish without batting an eyelash.

Back
Top Bottom