This or that !???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm currently cycling my 55g and I can't decide for sure what I want to stock it with. I don't really want a community tank.
Here's what I'm thinking about
African cichlids
tiger barbs
clown Loaches
red tail sharks
Large school of glofish ( but I need to stock my 10g as well )
Then I have thought about livebearers bc they are exciting and I like koi swords.
I've thought a little about koi angels but idk
Last thought was some cool looking gold fish... I really don't know
Any advice or ideas ???

It is a bit small to be a good African cichlid tank, so if you like them I suggest waiting until you cna do a larger setup for them and really do them right.

Clown loaches will outgrow a 55.

The rest could do well in there, possibly even together (except for the tiger barbs and angelfish together or the fancy goldfish). I personally don't like tiger barbs, IME they are too nippy. It is possible that in larger groups this is not the case, but IME this is not cut and dry, more of a case by case basis as to whether they will be better.

I love goldfish. They are smart, beautiful, and interesting to watch (and they watch you). I also like fancy livebearers which actually prefer subtropical temps (compatible with goldfish).

I would go with the goldfish. You could even add certian livebearers and danios with them (platies, swordtails, zebra danios and all the color morphs, white clouds, and a few others).

id go with the RTS,the swordtails,and the glofish,there all nice fish.

It is a bit small to be a good African cichlid tank, so if you like them I suggest waiting until you cna do a larger setup for them and really do them right.

Clown loaches will outgrow a 55.

The rest could do well in there, possibly even together (except for the tiger barbs and angelfish together or the fancy goldfish). I personally don't like tiger barbs, IME they are too nippy. It is possible that in larger groups this is not the case, but IME this is not cut and dry, more of a case by case basis as to whether they will be better.

I love goldfish. They are smart, beautiful, and interesting to watch (and they watch you). I also like fancy livebearers which actually prefer subtropical temps (compatible with goldfish).

I would go with the goldfish. You could even add certian livebearers and danios with them (platies, swordtails, zebra danios and all the color morphs, white clouds, and a few others).

I pretty much set my tank up for cichlids... I have just been thinking about it alot bc i want to have them for a long time ... whatever I decide. I want to be happy with my decision.. not just grab some fish and throw them in. I have worked really heard on my set up.

I thought a lot of ppl had their cichlids in a 55? :( I really like the colors of cichlids...
I knew clown loaches got pretty big I didn't realize a 55 was still small for them ...tears... LOL

I thought about just a couple really cool looking goldfish but IDk....sheesh this is hard.

I didnt realize tiger barbs were nippy in a large tank... I had some in a ten and returned them for that but I thought it was cause the tank was to small... I don't want nippy fish.

I love red tail sharks but you can only have 1 right?

Are angels that hard to care of?

then the swords... Idk... baby making machines... I don't know what I would do with all the babies... hahah

id go with the RTS,the swordtails,and the glofish,there all nice fish.

what about some glofish for my 10g or is that to small for them... ive been told yes and no... :eek:

yeah,the sharks will fight,possiblyu to the death.you shouldnt have to worry about to many swordtail babies,in a community tank there shouldnt be to many survivos,possibly 1 or 2,but that wont make to big of difference.

what about some glofish for my 10g or is that to small for them... ive been told yes and no... :eek:

im pretty sure its too small,there actually zebra danios,and like lots of swim room.id say 20 gallon minimum.

yeah they are genetically engineered zebra danios. They were originally injected with jellyfish DNA to bring out the fluorescent colors as a means to detect pollution in waterways. This was a flop, but the side effect was the neat colors, which they have in turn marketed to death. They even have a patent on them (how do you patent an animal?), and it is supposedly illegal to resell them without proper licensing. The trait is in their DNA, so it is passed down from generation to generation.

There are some danios that are fairly recent additions to aquaria that I believe are comparable in vivid colors and better behavior than zebras. I keep and breed glowlight danios (danio choprai) they are totally unaltered and have only been in the hobby for the past few years, so they are still fairly unheard of.

As far as stocking goes, yeah most people say 20+. I think they are ok at 4-5 in a 10, but that's just my opinion. They are definitely zippy fish and a larger tank like a 20L would be ideal, I would stock them in a smaller tank, but i would prefer something less zippy :p

I see... the glofish are okay but wouldn't mind the space... :) That's what I thought... I actually knew about the danios thing but I didn't know it was illegal to sell them... lol wow... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom