This tank (and loach) is clean!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some time between Saturday and last night, the last of the ich cysts disappeared on my clown loach. The rest of the fish have been clean for about a week. I've been treating with heat, and a bit of sea salt--no meds. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. I want to continue the stocking process, but will hold off and keep the temp. up for two more weeks as suggested to kill off any critters that are still in the water. All the fish seem happy and active...especially after water changes. So I'm happy.

...Now if I could only figure out what happened to that rubberlip pleco. I haven't seen him for about a week. He is tiny: about 1 1/2 inches. It is possible he died and was eaten, but I can't find any remains whatsoever. I moved absolutely everything last night and couldn't find him. I do not have any hollow decorations. So I'm baffled. Some might remember that I had a clown loach similarly disappear about a month ago. After I had moved everything, and given up hope, he mysteriously reappeard one day, totally covered with ich cysts. I'm hoping the same happens with the pleco (except for the ich part), but I honestly can't figure out where he could be if he's still in there. ...and I'm smart. Honest. :D

Plecos and loaches do not take well to salt. I wouldn't be surpised if the salt killed the pleco and the fish ate him.

Congratulations on the ich free tank! and I agree that the salt might have killed the pleco and he got eaten, aside from that do you have any decorations he can hide in? The reason I ask is my cuckoo cats hide in decorations and when I take the decorations out of the tank, I still have to manually remove them from the decorations even though they are out of the water. They don't seem to understand they will die in air! He might be hiding way inside of one where you can't see him.

i saw a nice fish tank today at a friends moms house, two 55's stacked on one another on some stand, looked unsafe, but they had this beautiful ceramic broken jar ornamant that was just amssive and inside was an albino catfish of some kind about 6 inchs long, apperently he ate a small frog they had, hes the only thing big enough to and the tank is fully covered so he couldn't have hopped out lol

Congrats on the clown being ick free. I'd have to agree it's a combo of temp and a small amount of salt that helped my yoyo. When it was disappearing on the other fish, he just kept getting worse. So now we are both ick free and just running high temps for the duration of the 2 weeks. Again, good job.....

I've been using a very small amount of salt. And the pleco disappeared before the salt was added. As bony a those fish are, I can't imagine I wouldn't have found any remains whatsoever if he had died and was eaten. Well, maybe he'll turn up.

Back
Top Bottom