Thought I treat my fish with...grow it yourself shrimp brine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well,

I bought this odd looking black plastic box from the San francisco Bay Shrimp company in which it claims you can grow your own live shrimp brine in 18-40 hours.

Anyone try this?

Basically mix contents of included package with regular tap water and mix until salt is dissolved. Cover box up and insert (upside down) clear collection container. Wait 18-40 hours and 'naturally live' brine will swim up into collection container because they are naturally attracted to the light.

Feed to fish.

Can collect Shrimp upwards of 2-3 days after hatching.

Hey it was $8 for a kit to grow 3 batches...I thought... "Why Not"?

Anyone have experience with this?

Yeah, I had it, but threw it out. It works, but the brine shrimp are babies, about the size of a pinpoint. They only use for it would be if you had fry, then it would be a GREAT idea. For regular size fish its a waste. Sorry.

I found out the hard way too, that they are babies. But on the net I found an article about raising them to adulthood. The highlights were puting them in a tank, he used rubbermaid, i have a 10 gal. HE said he tried a mixture of green algae and bread yeast. Towards the end he said the bread yeast worked best. Also not to overfeed. He used a cheap incandesent light, i put it near a window. He said the tank w/o a heater did best, no problem there. Mine already hatched without a heater, just took a lil longer. Don't know how well it goes, i'll know in a few weeks. He said he had mature brine in 12 days, we'll see. :lol:

mine hatched in 1 day without following instructions. i started brine shrimp recently. and forgot about directions. i put like a tablespoon of baking soda and a lil carton of salt... but the thing came with salt and stuff so i thought they'd die but they all hatched within like 30 hours. but soem didnt hatch because they were pushed above the water line by the bubble stone

Back
Top Bottom