thoughts on adding an otocinclus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So no otocinclus for now. I would rather have a few of them as opposed to a pleco. Looking at them at the petsmart tanks they look pretty small. Since they swim all over the place is there a risk of them being sucked into the filter tube? I have an AC 110 and those openings are big enough for stuff that small. Is this a concern? Is there something on the market like mesh or something to put over the tube openings? Or does everything just instincively swim away from the suction?

You can try a sponge over the intake. I've cut up a fish net and attached the net over the intake; it works well. Otos are tricky fish; they prefer certain types of algae (biofilm and diatoms). I've had my tank for over a year now and I don't have any noticeable algae but I've always wanted Otos so I got some. I lost one in quarantine but have a few left (going to get more). Mostly they graze on the plants and wood and glass. After a few weeks they started to nibble on the algae and veggie wafers. They are cute little buggers (and they hide well).

We have five ottos in our 20g, they are very happy and healthy, we added only two at first and one became ill and was stuck in the filter he died within 1/2 hour of recusing him. I did some research and everywhere I read and advice from others here stated they should be kept in groups no smaller than three.

They are dedicate to adjust to the tank I added 4 more after the first one died figuring if I lost some I might still have a group of three, in turn almost two weeks later I have all 5 :) yippee.

Everything I read states you should have driftwood to aid in their digestion, and live plants as well as a good algae growth, and supplement their diet as well. I offer them algae wafers every 3-4 days and I drop it in it never takes them more than 48 hours to eat the entire thing.

They spend most of the time on the driftwood or stuck to our plants but the glass has little trace of algae left to the naked eye. These were my most successful impulse addition I have ever made and would recommend them to anyone. :)

The thing with ottos (besides what we have stated already) is that since they are wild caught, most of them will not eat prepared food in your aquarium. That is why you need a large, very, very mature aquarium to house them in. More often then not they starve to death because people are not aware of this.

Currently fish in cycle with three large pieces of driftwood from established tanks. Used tetra safestart. Have about 10 anubias and java ferns. Got four guppies and two red wag platies. Not gonna add any more fish until fully cycled. Was wondering about adding an otocinclus though which is basically an algae eater. I guess it is similar to a small pleco. Would they be ok with my fish? How many should i get? 60 gallon tank. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 7.8

I would definetky wait until 1000% cycled. They are ridiculously sensitive at first. Get cycled, build some biofilm, and then add at least 3 via drip acclimation. The live plants and driftwood are gonna make things alot easier on you. I feed mine ocean nutrition algae wafers (although in my 25 I havent fed thembin months) if you have lots of soft algae on the dw and decor they can be ok without supplemental feeding. I dont think they eat "hard" algae. I havent really seen them tearing up diatoms or green spot.

Oto cats…

I used to think oto's were boring, and they always died…and then I got six, hoping some would survive…and they all did!

Of course it certainly helps that their home is now healthy, has driftwood, is not horribly overcrowded, and its planted.

Now I know that they are lots of fun to watch, especially when several of them are zooming around together doing loop-de-loops!

They are still experts at hiding when they want to go into stealth-mode, but they are not boring.

I wish I could figure out how to send a video.

Back
Top Bottom