thoughts on current tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like some opinions on my current set up. Right now I have a 37 gal community tank, it measures 30L 12D 22H. That kind of tank is pretty tall and not very deep so there's not alot of surface area on the bottom. My current stock is as follows, 5 Cory cats(various kinds), 5 red minor tetras, 1 blue gourami, 1 dwarf gourami, pictus catfish, common pleco and a few snails. I know I need to rehome the pleco but I just bought a 75 gal tank and I'm not setting it up for a few more months. My main concerns are that I think the pleco and pictus need to go sooner then later because the other fish don't seem themselves I guess. And I believe i may be overstocked. The tetras don't do much schooling and tend to hangout more toward the heater at one side of the tank, while the dwarf gourami stays almost at the bottom of the tank in the corner. Ive had this tank running for over a year with most of these fish with each other for a good portion of that time, and my parameters are pretty much perfect to. Any thoughts if I should change something up or am I just freaking out for no reason. Thanks

I would rehome the pictus and Pleco. Then I would add more tetras up the school to 8 or 10 then add more Corys of the same kind like 3-4 more anyway or do they school together?

Yeh i Agree with Josh, I would definitely rehome the pleco and pictus. Im kinda in the same boat, my fiancee has had a pleco in a ten gallon tank for years and she never knew any better and when i got into tanks i learned that common plecos shouldnt be in anything smaller than a 120 gallon. But of course he is our favorite and most loved fish we've ever had between the two of us and she would kill me if I rehomed it (already rehomed some terribly mannered angels who liked to pluck my danios eyes out).

Anyways he's in a 55g now and I know thats still too small but will just have to do. But yes some more tetras would look nice and get them schooling more. The pictus definitely needs to be rehomed.

Well one good way to get fish out is to leave the room in complete darkness for a while and every now and then check to see when the fish are "asleep". Once they are you can turn on the lights and they will be disoriented for about 45 secs to a min. That is when you want to net them out and put them in your already prepared tank water filled bucket or bag.

I'm not too sure on how this works with a pleco because they are nocturnal. Might have to take everything out of the tank and corner him im not sure. Good luck though!

I rehomed both fish, had a lil issue with the catfish as he go stuck in the net but they are both out and I replaced them with 2 albino and 2 peppered cories. Along with removing most of the caves and stuff

Haha good job and don't stress over the pictus issues, those whiskers do not go well with nets!

Yea it's to bad, my lfs owner was able to free him. But he Deff looks much happier where he is now, but it also sucks that I had to rehome both of them as they are pretty cool fish

So now that they are gone, is there anything else I can do with my tank fish wise? Here's my current stock in the 37: 9 various kinds of cories, 5 tetra, one blue and one dwarf gourami. Besides adding a few more tetras I really like juli cories but I'm not sure if that's to many

I wouldn't add more Cory'syou would be better off with all of the same species. Do they school together? I would add 5 more tetras of the same type and call it good.

Yea they all seem to hang with each other and play around. I'm going to add more tetras, I just like cories they are very energetic

So do you have 9 cories total? If you do you can up them to 12 and the tetras to 8 and call it good.

Yea 9 cories right now, yea I'll add more tetras. Do the tetras have to be the exact same or can I add black phantoms to it?

Yah you will be if you add only 3 tetras I think you could add 3 Cory's or just 5 tetras and no Cory's your choice.

Back
Top Bottom