Thrown in at the deep end

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80four

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Yesterday i was quite literally thrown in at the deep end... My brother is moving to australia and i agreed to take his tank and fish when he was packing up... anyway that day came yesterday, the fish were put into transport bags like you get at the fish shop, the water drained into large water containers and the tank cleaned. Unfortunatly the tank was damaged during transportation... the front glass pannel was badly cracked.

About 45 minutes later, my brother comes back with a brand spanking new tank, a pretty nice one in my opinion, a tropiquarium 88... its basically an all in the box ready to go job.

We set up the filter, put 50% of the water from the old tank alongside 50% tap water (this is what the guy at the fish place suggested), warmed it all up to the correct temperatures then added the chlorine nutrualising liquid and the bacteria adding liquid, left it for a couple of hours and then introduced the fish allowing them to adjust to the heat and new water.

.:: Main Question Starts Below ::.

The fish seam to have taken to the tank without any problems, what i'm concerned about is the fact that the water in the tank has gone a milky colour... i gave my brother a quick buzz and he suggested that this was a result of the tank going through a cycle and once it is ready it'll magically overnight go crystal clear?

How long do you think i should leave things to settle for before i start to add plants?

Thanks for helping a :n00b:

84 :)

Congratulations on the new tank and Welcome!!!

I would say your brother is right, the tank is cycling and the cloudiness is being caused by an algae bloom.

There is a great article in the article section about the nitrogen cycle, I think you should probably read.

Did you get anykind of water test kit with the tank or the items your brother gave you?

Thanks for the quick reply, i was given:

* the tank
* a kind of pump action water changing thing
* a huge bucket
* 1 bottle of chlorine remover
* 1 bottle of bacteria liquid
* 1 Large Mag-Float
* 1 tub of TetraMin flake food
* 1 tub of TetraPlecomin tablet food
* 3 boxes of TetraFreshDelica
* spare carbon for biolife filter
* spare foam for biolife filter
* fish net

and loads of fish, i have no idea what is what... most are small, but there is one huge fish.

I didn't get any water testing kit, what would you suggest i look into getting?

Thanks for all the help.

I am having a bad typing day. I did mean to say bacterial bloom not algae bloom. Thats why I asked about the test kit. I think I need to go back to bed.

Congratulations on the new tank and fish!!!!!

Unless you started up the tank with the same filter media (never dried out) that he was using, you are probably going to have to go through the entire cycle with your fish. It will be a lot of work, but it will be worth it.

You need a test kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates during the cycle. Given that you have a full tank of fish, you will have to do really frequent partial water changes....possibly even every day for much of the cycle.

Please read the article on cycling on this site so you understand what you are facing right now, and what you need to do about it. Otherwise, you are in danger of losing some/many of your wonderful fish to new tank syndrome (ammonia or nitrite poisoning).

The alternative is to find some Bio-Spira, which will jump-start the cycle.

Don't change the filter media in the filter and don't vacuum the gravel while you are growing your new good bacteria colonies.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

we just used the new media cubes which came with the new bio life filter. I didnt see the old filter, but then to be honest i wouldnt have known to have suggest to add the old filter media.

A lot of you reccomend the tests, i'll buy one tomorrow.

My next concern is that i have an aquarium full of many different type of fish, if i was able to take some photographs would creating a new post in this forum be the right place to help me identify what they are?

Thanks for the time you have taken to advise.

I've just purchased a:

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

Sadly my local shop was sold out, but they are sending one in the post from their warehouse this afternoon, so i should get it in the morning.

Does the kit tell me what my levels should be, or does it depend on my fish etc?

Uh-oh. The filter that was running on the tank before the move was not saved and used? Your new filter will not have the bacteria for biologic conversion of ammonia to nitrate, so you are in for a humdinger of a cycle. I would suggest you also buy a python water change system, since you will likely need to do many water changes in the near future to prevent high ammonia and nitrite levels. The resultant fish death from too high levels is known as New Tank Syndrome. It might be less severe if gravel from the old tank was used, since some bacteria in the gravel will have survived the move and can jump start the bacterial growth. Test the tank pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate now. Test your tap water ammonia and Nitrate as well. When your ammonia and nitrite are zero, and the tanks nitrate levels hae definitely increased and are more than your tap readings, your cycle will be done. I recommend testing the tap water for ammonia, since you can tell if your city uses chloramines thay way.

You want to keep the ammonia less than 1 ppm. Same for nitrite. If its not too much trouble, if you can keep the levels 0.5 ppm or less your fish will be grateful.

Its a shame i didnt think to come here before my brother went out and setup a new tank... Unfortunatly for you guys as i know next to nothing i'll be here asking millions of questions to help me take care of the fish i have... once i get home i'm going to try and get a good snap of all the fish so that someone (i hope) will be able to help me identify what they are, so i can find out what they require.

Would adding plants help the process of a cycle?

I'm fearing i could be in for some problems with the health of my fish as a result of the new tank?

Thanks for the support!

The only thing I've seen that helps a cycle is Bio-Spira. There's other stuff out there that claims to do the same thing, but I've yet to hear of them working. And even Bio-Spira has to be fresh and kept refrigorated continuously right up to the point you put it in the tank.

I've just returned home to find that the aquarium has gone crystal clear..!

The products i used in my tank were:

* stress coat
* stress zyme

The products are imported from the USA.

Hopefully the test kit will be with me in the morning.

in our old house the water used to go cloudy on a refill day because the tap and plumbing would agitate it that much it was actually micro air bubbles throughout the water molecules.
probly why it's crystal clear now either that, or you didn't wash the sand gravel.

and good on your bro for moving to aus, "The land of the legend"
Me.

hth
Matt

Back
Top Bottom