Thunderstorm heading in -- Tank okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I keep the window they're near shut, I shouldn't have to worry as much about my fish getting zapped do i? ^^; sorry I've heard of some peoples tanks being zapped by lightning before or something on that line.....

they only are zapped through the electrical circuits and straight into the tank, i doubt lightning will actually go around your roof along the side of your house straight into your aquarium, you're more likely to have your platy bite your finger off(but it still is possible that lightning could do that)

by the way this is coming from a meteorlogical fanatic, those storms went through earlier today here with the cold front and werent too strong, but i'm sure they will be good there :D :D

Good chance to pick up those surge protectors. That will also help prevent overloads to your power cords. Homes that are properly grounded stand little chance of lightning actually entering the home.

It's unlikely unless your heater is a 30 foot iron rod extending out the window into the sky to collect heat from the sun and conduct it into the tank water. >.>

oh now i'm jealous....2 weeks ago we had some storms hit and 3 inches fell in 40 mins....my basement flooded and basically the east side of the city shut down for a few days :(

wow, this is one thing i love about forums like this, seeing the differrent reactions to weather and stuff. Here in Florida, we are the Lightning capitol of the world, and i don't think twice about a thunderstorm. I mean, ive got surge protectors on all my plugs, and there has been an occasional time where i had to replace one. I think if you are really worried about your fish, get one of those strip surger protectors, that way if your house gets hit, it will trip and turn off before anything can hurt hte aquarium.

We don't have too many thunderstorms around here. I wish we had more. I love them. Several years ago we used to have Tornado's rolling through the region at a rate of about 10 per week. I don't recall even one so far this year. I know, I should be happy that destruction hasn't happened, but I love the sound of thunder and rain. If I could, everytime it rained I would run outside and sit in it.

I love thunderstorms too, just the feeling of one coming on can brighten my mood. I worry more about power outagaes when there is a storm. Strangely enough our power seems to go out when there is no storm and no logical reason for it.

I would be more worried about being on my computer during the storm, than about my fish. You are sitting near a device that if connected to a broadband connection, the possibility of lightning entering you place is quite possible.

You need to get off the puter....Safety First..

I always shut down and unplug my computer during a thunderstorm. I paid way too much for this thing for it to get fried.

Well, I got off the computer about 5 minutes after I even started this lol so I wasn't too worried about that ^^;

Back
Top Bottom