tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellie_claydon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, i need help. ive had tropical fish for 2 yrs now and a couple of days ago my mum and dad bought me 2 tiger barbs and 2 dalmation mollies (one black and 1 white) and now 1 of my tiger barbs keep going behind da pump and getting stuck and hurt also he is swimming around head downwards. Whats da matter wid ? help me plz

Hi!

Tiger barbs like to be in schools. When I first got them, I had only 3, and the biggest picked on the other two, which would hide from him as best they could. (Probably why yours keeps hiding). I added 4 more to the tank, and they are all happily co-existing now. They still chase each other, but it is much more playful, and no one fish seems picked on. They are a lot of fun to watch. I've noticed that when mine sleep, they have their heads down a little. My water levels are fine, and the fish seem happy and healthy, so I think it is just how they rest.

I would make sure that there are plenty of plants and other hiding spots where they can hide without getting hurt, and if you have room, I'd get 4 or 5 more Tigers so that your one fish isn't picked on. If he doesn't get a break, he could get stressed and sick. Also, they are less likely to pick on other fish if they have a group to hang out with.

This is just from my experience, so maybe some other Tiger barb people will have some more advice... Good luck!

I've got 6 tiger barbs. Tigerlily is right on. Sometimes they just point their heads almost straight down and sit there for a while.

And they're definately happier when there are a 1/2 doz of them or so. I started out with two as well, and had similar problems to what you describe.

I've got 9 Tiger Barbs and they constantly chase each other around. I bought then last November and they been having a 'great old time' for the last year.

The 'head-down' position seems to be a favorite resting position for them... At first I thought there was something wrong with them - but it's just what they like to do.

Thankyou i will get some more tiger barbs and put more plants in there! I think she has the hump aswell because one of the dalmation mollies have had babies already (only had the dalmation mollies 2 days) and i had to catch them all so i think i unsettled it. Does any1 know what to feed dalmation molly fry?

There isn't anything else to say about your tiger barbs, i think everybody has covered that really well.
As for your molly babies, they are born quite big so if you just get some of your flake food and crush it up that will do fine.

thanks i av done that and they are eating it fine. 2 hav dies :cry: :cry: but oh well but the rest r swimming around just fine.

1 of my tiger barbs stripes have faded
what does this mean?

Hi Kellie:

I have found that stress can cause tigers' stripes to fade. Before I had 7 of them, the one that got picked on the most would fade a lot. Once the stress was lifted, the color came back. Now, no one gets picked on disproportionately and I don't see much fading.

Also, you do have a lot more fish than you did a week ago, with all the new additions and now the babies! Keep an eye on your water parameters too. Bad water can cause stress on the fish, so I would imaging that might cause fading as well.

Good Luck!

Any one else have other ideas?

erm yea i think he is in sress bcoz the other tiger barb keeps chasing him. i am trying to perswade my mum 2 get sum more so he dnt get picked on anymr. Babys r getting big!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom