Tiger Barb Agression/Alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whistling Badger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, kids.

I have a 55g community tank that is gradually evolving toward an "Asia" tank. It is well planted with several huge swords and lots of smaller stuff, and currently stocked with dennison barbs/roseline sharks/torpedo barbs, turquoise rainbows, golden and siamese algae eaters, a red tail shark, a black moor goldfish, and a couple ottos and nerites. The GAEs get a little aggressive once in a while and will probably have to go away soon; other than that, everyone gets along just terrifically.

The dennies are pretty, but their coloring is not quite what I want, so I'm looking for a new home for them. I would like to replace them with a school of tiger barbs; I'm thinking around 8 of them. I love their coloring, their belligerent little faces, the way they interact. Their activity and silver/orange/black coloration would make a striking contrast to the plants and turquoise rainbows. Also, I suspect they have fairly low bioload, so I could get a few of them without overtaxing the tank. But I am worried about their aggression.

I read that if they are in a school of six or more, their aggression and fin nipping decreases dramatically. But I am still concerned that my black moor would be toast--longish fins, not fast at all. Any insight on that? Please tell me not to worry, that it would be fine, because I really want some tigers. Or better yet, tell me the truth. :)

Failing that, what alternatives can you recommend that have a similar look, similar coloration, similar geographic origins, but wouldn't kill my gentle moor?

Thanks!
Tom

With Tiger Barbs its a crap shoot. My first experience with them was great. Had zero problems.

When I first set my tank up this time around, a bad deal. I bought a school and one tiger actually bullied 2 others to death. When I removed him, another picked up his duties. I had no choice but to give them away.

I would wager its highly likely they'll pick on the moor though. But you'll never know until they're in the tank.

I would avoid them IMO.

The best alernative are pentazona barbs. I have had them for a few years. Peaceful & beautiful

The black moor's in trouble IMO. Keeping TB's in larger numbers helps, but no guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom