Tiger Barb ate Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlayerBarb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I was just messing around and wanted to see what would happen if I put a couple baby mollies into the tank with my Tiger Barb, Slayer, and he sucked 'em both up...I guess he's just living up to his name...is this bad? Might Slayer die?

Fish will eat just about anything they can fit into their mouths. If they see it moving they'll try to suck it into their mouths. They do that with their own waste, but they actually spit that back out. Eating fry is natural for fish. Adult Mollies will eat fry too, even their own. Don't worry about the Barb. He should be fine.

i was thinking about it...i have a guppy and some sort of sucker fish in there with him...but i'm afraid that he'll be too territorial and try to slay again if i put anything else in with him...

I'd actually be more concerned with the guppy. As a recognized fin-nipper, a lone tiger barb and a lone guppy may spell trouble in the long run. If you add just another two or three, it could probably be worse for the guppy. Most people say that you would need to get a school of six or more so other fish are left alone. I had a 20 gallon with eight of them and they still tried to tear my lone betta's tail to shreds. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know, they seem to get along, and the Barb has pretty much established dominance...they've lived together for about 7 months by now without any trouble. Also, i only have them in a 10 gal. tank, so i don't think i could get any more barbs in there comfortably.

Well, if it works, then I wouldn't add any more barbs. They do tend to get rowdy when there's a bunch of them. Maybe one of those apple snails?

What type of suckerfish do you have? I sure hope it isn't a pleco. Those things get huge.

I'm not sure what kind of sucker fish it is...it's long and orange, i'll try to get a pic up or something. i think he might be an albino something or other, any ideas?

Orange? Does it have red eyes? I'm thinking it's an albino. It could be a bristlenose but odds are it's a common pleco. Got any pictures?

It's the one under the rock ornament, it's not a pleco...and it's got yellow-ish orange eyes. He's probably about 4 or 5" long, and about an inch wide.

img_755395_0_8e16b3eafec957e569f40ede132a9217.jpg

Yeah, i just did some research and found out that it's a golden CAE. thanks for the lead.

Back
Top Bottom