Tiger Barb Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvanWells

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, so I have 4 Tiger Barbs in my tank. 2 of them are constantly swimming around, trying to nibble at the other one. It is pretty aggressive looking. Are they simply playing, or is it possible they are actually attacking? Could it also be a mating thing? I am unsure of their sex. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I had 6 Tiger barbs in my last tank. I seen them routinely swim around and chase each other. Then there where times I seen them all schooled together. None of them appeared to have nipped fins or be really stressed. They where all happy, healthy and fat when I gave the tank to my father in law. Still the same today. I would say they are just messing with each other. I could be wrong though.

I had 6 Tiger barbs in my last tank. I seen them routinely swim around and chase each other. Then there where times I seen them all schooled together. None of them appeared to have nipped fins or be really stressed. They where all happy, healthy and fat when I gave the tank to my father in law. Still the same today. I would say they are just messing with each other. I could be wrong though.

Thanks sir. Yeah Im thinking theyre just playing. So far, no fin damage or anything.

I wouldn't be concerned about the tiger barbs with each other, it's other fish that they'll team up on and devour their fins. Through my experience, they're jerks haha.

Tiger barbs are aggressive fish and will be aggressive not only to their own species but also to other fish species. Could you please tell us how big your tank is? If the tank is too small you're going to have problems in the near future. IMO for a group of 6 of these guys should have at least a 30 gallon. They reach a pretty decent size at 3" too.

Back
Top Bottom