Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tiger Barb fading

I noticed a few days ago that one of my Tiger Barbs color had started to fade a little bit. After I got home from work today and looked at the tank, I noticed that some of the other Barbs have faded a bit as well. One has faded a lot! The black lines are very faint on him (or her). I have 6 of them and I've had them just over a year, I think, and they've never looked like this before. Anyone have any experience with this and/or know why this is?

Also, here in the last couple of days, I've noticed the smallest Barb of the 6 has been really picking on my CAE. He doesn't nip at him but he will just nudge him over the back... just pestering him. The CAE usually doesn't move or even seem to mind but it has to be annoying. Is this a problem?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
well my tiger barbs do this sometimes, usually when frightened or stressed, sucha s during a water change. most fish loose there colors when they feel threatened as a defense mechanism. what other fish are in the tank witht he barbs? it could be they're scared or bullied by another fish. My red tail shark used to be mean as snot to my tiger barbs but eventully has settled down. Also what are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? it could be awater quality issue. You may also wanna watch out for an illness to pop up too. As for the CAE I wouldn't worry about it to much until the CAE starts fighting back lol

Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had this happen to one of my six barbs prior to dying. I definitely think its stress related and in my case it was caused by the alpha-tiger barb constantly picking on the weakest of the group. You can try quarantining the fish, but what might be better is to quarantine the BULLY fish. I did this a while ago and it seemed to help as during the QT, the other less aggressive fish seemed to take over some territory and then when the bully was allowed back into the main tank it was somewhat better.

I kept the bully in a breeder net in the tank in my case.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
I never thought about QTing the bully lol
Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup,

It is a double benefit in my eyes because not only does it give (hopefully) a rest for the injured/stressed fish, but it also forces the bully to lose his territory temporarily.

Why punish the picked on one and not the bully?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not sure why they would be stressed. My water parameters are all fine and I did a PWC just last weekend. No fish mess with the Barbs and they school together and I never see them mess with each other at all. The only action from them is the one little one that picks on the CAE from time to time... the CAE doesn't even act like he notices.

Actually... I just now did notice that a little one just picked on one of the other Barbs. Strange... he's one of the 2 smallest of the group! The other one did nothing but get battered and didn't retaliate. Well, into the nursery cage he goes until he can straighten up! Darn it... which one was it though... there's 2 that are near the same size. I'll have to watch and catch him in the act again.

Oh... how do you sex them? I notice that the 2 small one's have a reddish colored nose... mean anything?

Tags
barb, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com