Tiger barb question need answer!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it will depend on the personalities of the fish. If they are not super agressive i think itll be alright

I think it will depend on the personalities of the fish. If they are not super agressive i think itll be alright

They aren't that bad compared to reports of vicious TBs plus I don't think there is a dominate male right now cuz they are all still fighting together not a single one keeping everyone in line

They aren't that bad compared to reports of vicious TBs plus I don't think there is a dominate male right now cuz they are all still fighting together not a single one keeping everyone in line

I agree that TB's really are not as bad as advertised, if you keep them with proper tank mates and numbers. Eventually they will establish their hierarchy and the top TB will be challenged from time to time. The flip side is the low man on the totem pole ... usually that TB is the smallest and may become the most bullied.

I think that's what has happened with my "smallest" TB, a male Albino that was there from day one. It always challenged the other males, but about 3 weeks month ago it started to hide under a piece of DW. This barb was always out in the open, very active. 3 weeks ago was also when it got into it's last fight with another male.

Kinda sad to see such an active male TB now reduced to a inactive fish. A week ago I put it in my son's 10gal and it became more active after a few days. This past Sunday I put it back in the main tank since I was getting tetras for the 10gal. By the Sunday night I had to put it back in the 10 gal with it's new neon tetra tank mates, where it's going to stay from now on.

jcolon said:
I agree that TB's really are not as bad as advertised, if you keep them with proper tank mates and numbers. Eventually they will establish their hierarchy and the top TB will be challenged from time to time. The flip side is the low man on the totem pole ... usually that TB is the smallest and may become the most bullied.

I think that's what has happened with my "smallest" TB, a male Albino that was there from day one. It always challenged the other males, but about 3 weeks month ago it started to hide under a piece of DW. This barb was always out in the open, very active. 3 weeks ago was also when it got into it's last fight with another male.

Kinda sad to see such an active male TB now reduced to a inactive fish. A week ago I put it in my son's 10gal and it became more active after a few days. This past Sunday I put it back in the main tank since I was getting tetras for the 10gal. By the Sunday night I had to put it back in the 10 gal with it's new neon tetra tank mates, where it's going to stay from now on.

Probably for the best. I do love tigers though.

this is normal behavior i have 8 and once in a while one hides due that he lost the alpha male status but within a day or too the sadnes leaves and he forgets all about it and thats the life of a male tb

Better news on this. I put the male TB back in the main tank Wednesday night and so far it hasn't been hiding as much as before. Last night it was out among the other Barbs later in the evening. Today it's been by itself a bit more, but it's not hiding under the DW or in the back right area of the tank.

Looks like it's slowly getting over the fact it's not the alpha male anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed ... it's the only Albino TB male.

Back
Top Bottom