Tiger Barb Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

After a search I decided to make this thread.

Are lemon tetras (or any tetra) good tankmates for Tiger Barbs in a 30g? Are tetras just too docile?

What about cory cats? I have read Pandas are okay, I have also read that pandas are not ok! I really want something active on my bottom level.

I would like to keep Tiger Barbs and 2 other species, just having a little trouble deciding. Is it feasible to keep 2 other species in my size tank? I have heavy filtration.

Cory's would be fine.

Make sure you have at least 8 tigers though, otherwise you'll be in for a lot of torn fins and dead fish.
Tetras are probably not too good to be with barbs.

Maybe 8 tigers, 10 neons (if they can school they will feel a lot better) and 5 cories, although that's pushing a 30gal quite a bit.
You could probably get away with 6 tigers and 8 neons and 4 ottos though. You really have to experiment, certain fish are nice others aren't.

You can do at least 6 tigers without them being too bad, you can really do any number of neons that you feel like and cories are pretty much fine no matter the number (within reason) as you have a nice foot print for them. A couple otos and youll be just right!!!

Hmm so does this sound good?

7x Tiger Barb - I have heard that 7 is the "magic number" but I wouldn't mind 8, I just want to keep good water quality.
5x Otocinclus
5x Corydoras - any particular kind?

Are there any school numbers I should push higher/lower? I want my fish to be active, and not feel threatened by the Tiger Barbs.

I heard that tetras are a no go, and also that neons are good... Further thoughts? I originally said Lemon Tetras because they have a reputation for being "tough" but aren't neons supposed to be fairly weak? If a tetra wouldn't be a problem I'd happily trade out the otos for the tetras, as I love tetras and have never had a tank without them.

I know that with any of those fish the more you can get away with the more comfortable they will feel. I personally would switch the otos out for some more cories and barbs, but it all depends on how many species you want in your tank. I think other fish of the same tempermant could get along with the barbs well. I use this as a general guide to see what would probably work best with what: Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart but the only way to really know is to try! Good luck :)

I have Red Saerpe (sp?) Tetras in with my Barbs. I have 10 barbs and about 7 Tetras. the barbs don't mess with the Reds cause they will mess back. :agrue:

My black skirt tetra actually gets a little bossy w/ tiger barbs.

One of the suggestions HN1 gave me for my 29 was loaches, the smaller ones. I was thinking yoyo, but I've decided on zebra loaches (botia striata) since they are a bit smaller but still pretty colorful.

I have albino tiger barbs and recently added 2 panda corys . When I first put the corys in the tank the tiger barbs got curious and chased them around for about a minute. After that they lost interest and don't pay any attention to my corys any more.

Thanks, all, for the great feedback so far. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Hmm so the nippier tetras seem to be ok by most accounts. I will keep an eye out for LFS that carry any known for nipping. Personally, I am drawn to red-eyes.

I am feeling a little torn between Cory cats and chain loaches, both seem like great little bottom dwellers. I guess it's a matter of availability, not compatibility.

Any more suggestions are welcomed!

I keep mine with 4 cichlids, 2 syn. cats, 3 pictus cats and 2 dozen giant danios :)

(The JDs actually avoid the danios and barbs)

But here's something I found for you:

The Tiger Barb should be kept in groups of 8 and is compatible with the Bala Shark, Black Skirt Tetra, Bosemani Rainbow, Clown Loach, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, GloFish, Kissing Gourami, Kribensis, Kuhli Loach, Leopard Pleco L114, Molly, Peppermint Pleco L030, Platy, Pleco (Common), Rainbow Shark, Red Tailed Shark, Rosy Barb, Sunshine Pleco L014, Swordtail, Three Spot Gourami, Tinfoil Barb, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Danio,

This site is a bit easier and not too far off. Of course, everything depends on the fish themselves.

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Compatibility/NameResults.php

Last edited:
Well after much thinking (and much not having internet) I decided to scrap my stubborn clinging to 3 species, and to tank areas, and just go with two schools of barbs. Tiger Barbs, and Gold Barbs (if I can find Gold Barbs, which I really hope to be able to).

I figure this will make the odds of aggression/nipping way less, and provide an active tank I will greatly enjoy. After stocking (I'm thinking Golds first, Tigers second), if the tank seems empty and water parameters are clean as a whistle... I'll consider adding a third species and figure out what I would want. That way I would also be able to see what area of the tank is screaming out for activity.

Thanks for the help all. Any thoughts are welcome.

I plan to add some albino tigers and green barbs to our cichlid tank. The tigers have been doing great in there.

So, maybe go for the greens too?

I have seen them with clown loaches alot, but you'd need a bigger tank shortly so they would probably be out of the question. You could however get skunk or zebra loaches. They would add some bottom dwellers that probably would be OK with tiger barbs.

If I can find Green Barbs, which are the original (and much more rare) color morph of the Gold Barbs, I absolutely will split the school and get some of each!

Both are Puntius Semifasciolatus.

My Tiger Barb school will be mostly the green color morph as well.

I'm thinking:
10x Tiger Barb (6 green 4 regular)
7x Gold Barb (if possible, 4 gold 3 green)

As for the loaches, I definitely would be interested in them eventually as I've always been fascinated by the goofy loach behavior. If I can find a store that sells them, and my nitrate levels don't rise more than 10-15ppm in a week, I'll add some.

I think that sounds like a fun tank, especially if you can pull off the loaches. They are definitely fun to watch and I hope to get some more one day. I feel you on the internet shortage, I have a stupid virus so I have been having withdrawls lately lol

DragonFish71 said:
I keep mine with 4 cichlids, 2 syn. cats, 3 pictus cats and 2 dozen giant danios :)

(The JDs actually avoid the danios and barbs)

But here's something I found for you:

The Tiger Barb should be kept in groups of 8 and is compatible with the Bala Shark, Black Skirt Tetra, Bosemani Rainbow, Clown Loach, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, GloFish, Kissing Gourami, Kribensis, Kuhli Loach, Leopard Pleco L114, Molly, Peppermint Pleco L030, Platy, Pleco (Common), Rainbow Shark, Red Tailed Shark, Rosy Barb, Sunshine Pleco L014, Swordtail, Three Spot Gourami, Tinfoil Barb, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Danio,

This site is a bit easier and not too far off. Of course, everything depends on the fish themselves.

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Compatibility/NameResults.php

Disagree with many on that list... :(

Back
Top Bottom