tiger barb tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever had success with tiger barbs and convict cichlids together? I really want a couple convicts with my school of 7 tigers. If not what other tankmates would you reccommend? I really love cichlids of any kind so if any cichlids are compatible please let me know. How about blue rams? or peacocks?

TigerBarbs said:
Has anyone ever had success with tiger barbs and convict cichlids together? I really want a couple convicts with my school of 7 tigers. If not what other tankmates would you reccommend? I really love cichlids of any kind so if any cichlids are compatible please let me know. How about blue rams? or peacocks?

Convicts-maybe, but depends on the tank size
Rams-maybe, but I'd think rams are too shy for them
Peacock-definite no, needs different setup and requirements entirely

I've looked all over on the Internet and if seen that it won't and I've seen that it will because of the tiger barbs speed

TigerBarbs said:
I've looked all over on the Internet and if seen that it won't and I've seen that it will because of the tiger barbs speed

What do you mean it will?

Before you get anything you need to tell us if there's anything else in the tank an how big the tank is.

I can tell you that a friend, against my advice, put some tiger barbs in with his mbuna... they weren't there the next morning.

I think some rams, apistos, or kribs would do OK with them as long as the barbs are in a suitable group size (7 would be fine IMO).

The tank is a 29 with a small Senegal bichir and the barbs and theres 7 barbs

Ok I think the bichir needs to be moved (I've read they get like a foot long), but other than that you could probably add an apisto or keyhole or ram. Maybe kribs too.

I ended up getting two very small convicts yesterday to try. They are about an inch or so long maybe a little more and so far so good. The have not bothered anything except for giving the bichir a nudge for being in their territory

Back
Top Bottom