Tiger Barbs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip0204

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 5 tiger barbs in a 65 gal tank for the last maybe 2-3 weeks the 3 bigger tiger barbs have gotten larger. there has been color changes as well I've read that this could be due to mating also recently they have been staying close to the heaters????? tank temperature is at 78 -80 and there are two thermoters. anyone care to tell me what is going on and what to expect?

There's a slight chance they don't feel safe in that big of a tank with so few fish there, assuming you have nothing else. With tigers (semi-aggressive fin-nippers), you might be limited slightly in terms of tank mates, but the size of the tank means you could have a huge school of them.

You could mix them with fast fish like rainbows or zebra danios (the zebra danios would be my vote). You might be able to do a pair of bigger gouramis, too; I'd wait for more advice than mine though on the combo of tigers and gouramis.

And here's a thought, too, for a tank of that size: clown loaches. Wow, that would be pretty to have them with tigers.

I have 7 Tiger Barbs with a trio of Gouramis (1 Opaline and 2 Gold). The Tigers never bother the Gouramis and vice versa. I'm not saying that this combo works 100% of the time, in fact I've heard more bad stories than I have good with this combo. For me it has been working out just fine so far. It can definitely be done as long as the fish will allow it. :)

i have a 65 gal tank and eventually after i move they will probably all end up in a 120 gal right now 5 tiger barbs a dwarf gourami pleco 4 platies betta fish snail frog

they been together for about 3 months now and the problem isnt that they dont get along

i was curious why the tiger barbs have gotten fatter and red and if they are pregnant what to expect or if not what it was?

also on a side note anyone know of a good plant that i can put in the aqurium preferablly a couple that will sit at the bottom and then a couple i can have on top free moving i went out before researching and bought a bamboo plant but the ones at petco were submerged and apprently they cant be.. its not that big of a problem ill end up giving it to my brother next weekend for his tank when i get home. he has two turtles and the plant would go well in it so any plants would help

Cryptocoryne wendtii are good, low, bottom plants. Easy to grow and give good cover for the fish to hide in when they want.
As for floating plants, I'm not familiar with any but a search for them will turn up lots, I'm sure.

varenr109.jpg

This is what it looks like. It is fairly low and bushy in my tank. It's about 6-8 inches high.

Tropica is a good web site to look for plants. They have a catalogue you can download too if you like.

Back
Top Bottom