Tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon I just got and I want tiger barbs. I had someone tell me no my tanks to small and others say my tanks just fine. I want others opinions.

I think you would be ok for a small school. Not much else though. They get to 3 inches and can be alittle nippy.

Personally, I wouldn't put tb in a 20g tank. IME, tb get pretty nasty with each other unless you have like 8 of them. They are also pretty boisterous. So, I recommend a bigger tank for tb.
Is it a 20 long or a 20 high? Anything else in it?

I believe it's a high cuz that's what would fit in my area. I have pics up. Brand new tank no fish yet. Have to pick them first

Ok. :) Well, you will find there are always differing opinions in fish keeping. People do not necessarily agree in things. I do not suggest tb for a 20 high tank based on my experiences with them. Its your tank though, so its up to you what you want to do. Tb really can be mean to each other and smaller space tend to aggravate that. Also, they get decently sized because they are tall as well as long and they do better usually in larger schools. Thats why I do not suggest them for a 20tall.
Have you considered other species? I suggest you look into a few different species and see if there is a different one that you would want instead and keep tb on your wish-list for the future. If you decide you want to get tb, then keep an eye out for nipped fins and aggression.
Black skirt tetras are large, but not as boisterous as tb. Harlequin rasbora are pretty colored and not nippy so you can keep more with them. There are several species of gourami that are cool and personable. Mollies can be colroful and personable too.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Your the first to do so. I want a larger tank and eventually a saltwater tank but I'm just starting off and limited in an apartment. I will look into those. Any other fish you can think of? What do you think about a red finned shark?

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Your the first to do so. I want a larger tank and eventually a saltwater tank but I'm just starting off and limited in an apartment. I will look into those. Any other fish you can think of? What do you think about a red finned shark?

I agree with absoluteangel, people don't always agree. I don't think Tiger Barbs should be in anything under a 20g Long aquarium as they are extremely active and pretty evil IMO. :devilish: Definitely wouldn't put a Red-Finned Shark (Rainbow Shark) in a 20g. They really need at least a 55g aquarium when they get full grown, and they can be aggressive. There are many other fish you could put in that tank though. Cherry Barbs, Guppies, and Kuhli Loaches would be an idea. They are all hardy and very fun little fish to keep.

^^I agree with the above post about the shark. They are really pretty and cool, but they get very territorial and need a large tank.
Cherry barbs are a great idea though because they are gorgeous and active, but not too boisterous for a 20g. They also are not nippy like tb are. :)
A dwarf gourami would be cool. There are also a ton of attractive tetra species that would do well in a 20g tall. Just avoid most danios because they are pretty hyper-active and do better in longer tanks.
Platys are cool and colorful too.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna look at gourami's there was a pretty orange one around here but I don't want babies. Do I have to have male and females or can I get all of one sex?

I looked up the kuhli loach and that one seems really cool! I read that unless you have 3/4 they are scared and hide is that true and can I do 3/4 and still be able to add other fish. How big do they become as adults?

They reach roughly 4 inches as adults. I keep 5 of them and they do well. The more the merrier with these guys. You also still have room for plenty for fish because kuhlis have a relatively low bioload. :)

Yay!! So I want to get a few of those but they are bottom feeders right? So I have to wait to get those until my tank is more established? I like the cherry barbs but it says they need a lot of plants. I bought a few more plastic tall plants for the back of my tank is this going to be good for those? I was also really liking dwarf gourami's? How do you feel about all those together?

I think cherry barbs with a dg and some kuhlis would be great together!
Yeah, kuhlis are bottom feeders and will do best in a tank that has been cycled. You could probably have 6 of them, 6-7 cherries and a dg IMO.

Thank you so much! I'm very excited to get my cycle started so I can have a beautiful tank!! I go home tomorrow and am going to start as soon as I buy the ammonia

Thanks will do! I'll probably be back asking questions about the nitrogen cycle. I went to the local pet store and bought the test kit and when I get back home today I'm gonna go but the ammonia do I can get it started!

I bought some tiger barbs when I started up my tank. I would agree with everyone else you need at least 8 for them to not get nippy. I have then in a tank with 2 gouramis (green and blue) and one blood parrot and the mix might be unconventional but so far its been great. I have a 45 gallon though...the tiger barbs are fun to watch but they don't seem to have big personalities like the parrot and gouramis IMO. I would suggest maybe some gouramis.

I was also looking up the kissing gourami and was wondering if those would be ok in a 20 gallon with cherry barbs and a dwarf gourami

Back
Top Bottom