Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum.
I'm a newbie to the aquarium hobby. I fell in love with the Tiger Barb, and despite their reputation as bullies, I decided to have these guys cycle my tank. (The store employee almost talked me into a school of Neon Tetras, but I just HAD to have the Tiger Barbs) I made the right decision. These guys have SO much personality, it's unreal! I currently have 2 Tiger Barbs, 1 Green Tiger Barb, and 1 Albino Tiger Barb.
I'm almost certain the albino barb is female, as she lacks any red coloration, basically. I just love the brilliance in color of the males, so the 3 fish I got today at the pet store were males. (the 2 tiger barbs and green barb). They are all fully grown adults.
I'm not having an behavior issues with the males. They are incredibly docile. The female's behavior has me worried. I've been reading that it is apparently common for the 'nose down' posture as a sign of submission. And I know Tiger Barbs rest in a downward tilt.
This is all she's doing. She's eating. She'll swim with the others. I'm just worried that she's stressed, or perhaps worse. Will this subside with time? It's not the most aesthetically pleasing posture. A quick glance and you think she's sick.
In the next week or so, I intend on adding one more Tiger Barb for a total of five, as five is normally the magic number given to 'cure' Tiger Barb nipping behavior. Do I need to add another female? Make it an all male group? Any tips would be appreciated.
~Austin

:welcome: to AA! (y)
There are articles about a fish in cycle you'll want to read to help you while your cycling. How large is the tank? TB's are pretty hardy fish, however also read up on fish less cycling for future reference.

One thing you'll discover with TB's is that there's not always a magic male/ female ratio or number to cure nipping behavior. The more the better is the best rule of thumb... above 7 and they'll spend their time bothering each other. Certainly add a couple more females. This depends on your tank size... TB's really need at least a 30gal due to their high activity.

The nose down is typical TB behavior that you'll get used to. Also don't be surprised if in the next couple of weeks, the males go nose to nose to establish a hierarchy of the shoal... Give them time to get comfortable with the tank.

I also have a rainbow shark that I purchased from Petsmart. I'd say it's about 1.5''-2''. My Tiger Barbs haven't messed with him. He will swim with the TG school when he isn't resting on the tank bottom. I've noticed that his dorsal fin is never erect. Is it normal for the dorsal fin to be laid down?
I got the little guy because I was entertained by the numerous Youtube videos of rainbow sharks and thought he'd be a good active addition to my semi-aggressive tank. But he's everything but that...
Another question lol. He'll eat a couple of flakes, but my tiger barbs eat all food. I don't want to overfeed the barbs, because they'll just eat that much more. Is their a food recommended for rainbow sharks?

How large is your tank? RBS need at least a 55gal as they do become territorially aggressive as they mature . For now yours is a juvenile. Provide territories for it claim by setting up caves, driftwood and plants... Let it get used to our tank for it to become more active and better show of its fins.

It'll eat whatever you feed the TB's ... Don't worry, an RBS will scavenge for food all day. Don't be surprised as it matures it may become a little nasty to tank mates during feeding.. Nature of he beast.

I have a 20 gallon aquarium starter kit. It's been in the cycling process for 2 weeks. I intend to upgrade to a larger tank after I've learned the ins-and-outs.

First tip: Magic number is around 9 not 5. I purchased 11 and they schooled beautifully.

Second tip: 3 males will go at it in a school of 4. Get some more soon!

Last tip: i dont beleive your barb is "sick" i beleive it might be a little overwhelmed with new surrondings and way to much testosterone ;)

I have a 20 gallon aquarium starter kit. It's been in the cycling process for 2 weeks. I intend to upgrade to a larger tank after I've learned the ins-and-outs.

You some time till you have to upgrade, but if you intend on keeping the RBS, then I recommend a 55gal. Good luck... Keep up on PWC's and test frequently.
I suggest you keep us updated and members will be happy to help.

I think I'm taking the little monsters back to the pet store tomorrow. I'm going to start fresh. I really think I need a peaceful tropical fish community to learn the ropes. I'm going to have my hands full with the RBS and his fellow semi-aggressive tank mates in the coming weeks.
I've been thinking about the Mickey Mouse Platy and a peaceful schooling fish. I've read that Neons and Cardinals can be finicky in new aquariums, so I'm hesitant to get them. Any other good schooling fish? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Yeah thats a better idea haha. I personally enjoy neons. My personaly favorite are red-belly x-ray tetras! Theyre sweet!

I learned the ropes with TB's and a Red-Tailed Shark so it can be done ... although I do have a larger tank to work with. Nothing wrong with returning them, you could look to do BloodFin Tetras instead. They're hardy stay relatively small, are energetic but not as aggressive.

Three non-aggressive Barbs I think you could look at as replacements to TB's are CherryBarbs, Gold Barbs and Black Ruby Barbs. BRB's closely resemble TB's at first, grow to the same size, but are not as fin-nip happy. The males get a great coloration, the body becomes jet black, the head a ruby red color.

Either way good luck and keep us posted!

Bloodfins can be tough to keep as they get very skittish when a bet enters the tank or its cleaning time. Mine look like they are seizing and shake really fast. The are probably my least favorite tetras. Neons are cool and so are xrays. Othwr cool ones are maybe some danios (not tetras) or maybe like columbians.

Back
Top Bottom