Tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aq.addict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum, great for me since I have to always google the questions, but now I can get answers from you guys!

Are 5 tiger barbs temporarily ok in a 10 gallon? I'm planning to move them into a future 29 gallon with a brittle nose pleco.

Hi! I'm new to this forum, great for me since I have to always google the questions, but now I can get answers from you guys!

Are 5 tiger barbs temporarily ok in a 10 gallon? I'm planning to move them into a future 29 gallon with a brittle nose pleco.

:welcome: to AA (y)

How long before the 29gallon's ready? 5-6 juvenile TB's are ok in a 10 for a couple of months ... But after that you can run into issues as they mature. TB's are just too active and aggressive for a 10gallon.

Thanks, I may get them around October to December depending on the conditions of my house. Will tiger barbs nip plants? I'm looking for some since I heard they help the water. I don't have a DIY co2 and root tabs. 2 10 watts cfls

aq.addict said:
Thanks, I may get them around October to December depending on the conditions of my house. Will tiger barbs nip plants? I'm looking for some since I heard they help the water. I don't have a DIY co2 and root tabs. 2 10 watts cfls

Tiger barbs won't nip plants. Mine don't

What plants do you suggesting, I'm thinking about the fully aquatic topfin tubed anubias plants? Are they alright on driftwood in low light?

I'm thinking of having 8 tiger barbs, 1 brittlenose pleco, and would there be space for for 3 loaches( one with the 3 thick stripes on their body and barbs?)?

aq.addict said:
I'm thinking of having 8 tiger barbs, 1 brittlenose pleco, and would there be space for for 3 loaches( one with the 3 thick stripes on their body and barbs?)?

If your referring to clown loaches ... Then no ... Not in a 29 gal, they'll eventually grow too big for a 29.

Yoyo loaches may work for your tank. Plants there are java ferns and crypts good for low ligjt

Clown loaches would not work, but polka dot loaches and yoyo loaches stay relatively small at 5-6". i have 4 polka dot loaches with a BNP in my 29 gal and i love them. Look them up i bet you will like 'em.

Forget the loaches, so how many more tiger barbs could I fit in the tank, I'm thinking about making it a tiger/green/albino barbs tank with a brittlenosepleco.

aq.addict said:
Forget the loaches, so how many more tiger barbs could I fit in the tank, I'm thinking about making it a tiger/green/albino barbs tank with a brittlenosepleco.

You'll have to anticipate their adult sizes. In a 29 gal you can have 6 - 8 adults comfortably... They do get up to 2inches. I have 2 that are pushing 3 the other 5 are at 2 inches and I've had them for a year and a half. They were all about 1inch when I first got them.

Since they're going into a 10gal till ... December? If so as long as you stick with juveniles your ok.

Back
Top Bottom