Tiger barbs and dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stasia_fw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can they be in the same tank 20g
I keep getting different answers from different resources.
What do y'all think about it?

I think a 20 is too small for tiger barbs. They are so active. Additionally, they need several in the shoal to keep it to themselves

Stasis, a 20 gal. Is too small to really appreciate an active fish like a Tiger Barb, but a school of 6 or 7 would probably be fine as long as you provide a power filter rated for 40-50 gallons. A dwarf gouromi would be okay too. Way back in the day about the only fish available locally were, tiger barbs, gouramis, zebra fish, Cory cats and Angel fish. My friends and I kept them alive in steel framed 5 and 10 gallon tanks, with prehistoric filters. I'd say go for it.

I have 6 and they seem to be comfortable and yes they are very active and I have a penguin 200 bio wheel and a corner filter. I was just asking on the compatibility between the two.

Just watch for fin nipping I have 12 tiger barbs and a dwarf gourami in my community tank and for the first day the barbs would follow the gourami nipping once and a while then stopped all at once I think they will do fine

The more numbers, the more likely the barbs will just nip at each other, but I don't think you could have more than 6-7 in a 20 long, so I'd be reluctant to keep a DG in there with them. Others have had different experiences, of course, but I like to err on the side of caution.

Stasis, a 20 gal. Is too small to really appreciate an active fish like a Tiger Barb, but a school of 6 or 7 would probably be fine as long as you provide a power filter rated for 40-50 gallons. A dwarf gouromi would be okay too. Way back in the day about the only fish available locally were, tiger barbs, gouramis, zebra fish, Cory cats and Angel fish. My friends and I kept them alive in steel framed 5 and 10 gallon tanks, with prehistoric filters. I'd say go for it.
i had those tanks when i was a young boy of coarse thats about all that was available plastic box filter some floss carbon air pump and airline listen to the bubbles

Its amazing how far the hobby has come. LED lighting, canister filters with UV sterilization, chemical advancements and test kits? There are some extremely intelligent and talented members on AA. and i listen and learn, but sometimes I have to laugh, with all due respect, when some say what you can or can't do. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom