Tiger Barbs ate my new shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got two small shrimp today, and I guess they were to small. Lesson learned. How big are adult cherry red shrimp? Maybe I will look at something bigger, any suggestions? Looking for a good bottom cleaner that eats algea.

No chance of any dwarf shrimp surviving with Tiger barbs. If you need an algae eater other than a magfloat, maybe look at a BN pleco.

Tigers will take out anything that isn't quick enough to flee IME. Especially in a group of only 3. Bamboo shrimp wouldn't do really do much for algae anyways... they are filter feeders.

Welp, on to a new search for a good bottom/algea eater that won't get eaten or eat my other fish.

Thanks for your replies, you seem to always reply to my threads, I appreciate it.

Welp, on to a new search for a good bottom/algea eater that won't get eaten or eat my other fish.

Thanks for your replies, you seem to always reply to my threads, I appreciate it.

No problem. I'm not a stalker I swear! LOL

LMAO, I was beginning to wonder. :D

I was looking at loaches, but those are semi-aggressive. I just want everyone to be happy and not try to eat each other.

Loaches (other than clowns) would be a great addition to your tank IMO. Check out Yoyos or another smallish loach. They'd keep with the Asian theme. "Semi-aggresive" could easily describe gourami and barbs. Also, if it were me... I'd gradually up the number of Tiger barbs to 8+. They'll be less aggresive to other tankmates if they have enough of their own to bicker with. You can mix the regulars, green, and albino... they don't know the difference. :)

Yeah, the 3 barbs in there now are like a little gang. They always swim in a group, and are rarely apart. They swim so close to each other sometimes that they are touching while swimming.

I will check into loaches more, I heard you need to keep Yoyos in groups of 6 or more.

4 or more is fine IME. You have plenty of room given your tank is a 90 gallon. I also agree that you should add more tiger barbs. As HN1 said, you could even mix the different varieties... 3 each of striped, green, and albino would be fine, and they are all puntius tetrazona so they will all school. :)

Got two small shrimp today, and I guess they were to small. Lesson learned. How big are adult cherry red shrimp? Maybe I will look at something bigger, any suggestions? Looking for a good bottom cleaner that eats algea.
image_432944A_kitchen_brush.jpg

there isnt a fish or shrimp that will eat all algae anways. its best to get the tank stable. the amanos might work if they are already big. they get to be about 2 inch.

I think any shrimp will run into trouble with loaches. Since you're having trouble with the barbs and shrimp anyway, I'd go with the loaches. They don't eat algae, but they're great at cleaning up any uneaten food and more importantly, they are fun to watch.

Thanks for the replies. This is my first big tank. The biggest before this was a 20 gallon and it only had a gold fish, lol. Moving to big tank creates more choices and makes for more research.

Yoyos will definatly be the biggest fish in the tank if I add those.

EDIT: Researching loaches and it appears the Yoyos are the smallest that would work for me. I found the Spiney-headed hillstream loach and the Horseface Loach are smaller but require expert care. Any one know of any smaller loaches than the Yoyos?

Sidthimunkis (dwarf chain loaches), but good luck finding any at a LFS. You may have some luck finding them on Aquabid if you are patient. There are other species that are similar in size to yo yos but they are often hard to find as well. I rarely ever say this to anyone on forums, but you have plenty of room in your tank to keep a group. :)

You're right to avoid hillstream loaches. They require a pretty specialized setup if you want them to really thrive.

Back
Top Bottom