Tiger barbs, danios and gouromie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Besides the fact that I obviously can't spell the last one, what are your thoughts on this mix. I have schools of both the tigers and danios and was thinking of adding a few gouromies. I have done some research and it says they should get along but I would like to hear some personal experience or thoughts

yes, they are compatible!
I had this fish combination a few years ago in my 40 gallon.

Though I'd recommend the 3-spot gourami (i.e. blue, gold, opaline) with the tiger barbs, danios.
They are the most aggressive of the gourami species and can hold their own against the nippy barbs and active danios.

A nice semi-aggressive setup would be...
6 tiger barbs
6 zebra danios
1 three-spot gourami

I think it really comes down to the individual fish. I've had danios that have been pretty OK, but I've also heard stories of both Danios and Barbs absolutely wrecking more peaceful fish.

A lot of the dynamic of schooling fish comes from the size of the school. Having at least 6 of each danio and barb means that they are more likely to play with each other than "play" with the other fish.

Well, think you have inspired me to make some changes in my 37 gallon.
As far as schooling fish I have
2 cherry barbs-chase each other nonstop
2 hi fin silver tetra-constantly nipping each other
3 Blood fin tetra-nipping and chasing constantly
2 kissing gourami-challenging each other daily (will never have 2 gourami again) one is moving to my 40 gal as soon as it is cycled.
Do you think if I added more tetras and barbs they would be more peaceful? Don't want to over crowd tho

2 kissing gourami-challenging each other daily (will never have 2 gourami again) one is moving to my 40 gal as soon as it is cycled.
Do you think if I added more tetras and barbs they would be more peaceful? Don't want to over crowd tho

you need to fill out those schools!
4 fish minimum per school.
It won't stop the nipping, but it will divide the aggression amongst the group.

a nice setup for you....
4 cherry barbs
4 silver tetra
4 blood-fin tetra
1 kissing gourami

I actually recommend 6-8 of each tetra. They really need schools of their own.

Clynnking said:

You really need to fill out the schools. The tetras and barbs need at least 5 or 6, 6 for the barbs. I like that combination though. Cherry barbs are supposed to be less aggressive than tigers, so a school might settle them down more. I hope all goes well!

Now I just need to pick a gourami. I have some time because I will be filling out the schools first, but I have had such a hard time with deciding what else to put in the tank with the barbs. I had gouramis in the past and they were very aggressive. Then again I knew NOTHING about fish keeping back then. I think it really will cone down to just trying it out.

Now I just need to pick a gourami. I have some time because I will be filling out the schools first, but I have had such a hard time with deciding what else to put in the tank with the barbs. I had gouramis in the past and they were very aggressive. Then again I knew NOTHING about fish keeping back then. I think it really will cone down to just trying it out.

For a gourami that I am sure will be 100% peaceful, I highly recommend pearl or moonlight gouramis. Never seen a problem with these guys.

I want one that will hold their own with a tiger barb school, but not go after anyone. how many should i get? and what f/m ratio should there be?I used to have three, and I had no idea what their sex was.

I want one that will hold their own with a tiger barb school, but not go after anyone. how many should i get? and what f/m ratio should there be?I used to have three, and I had no idea what their sex was.

It depends, what are you filling your schools up to? You could try all females, 2 females/1 male, or all males. Many don't recommend all males, but IME I kept two male DGs with a gold male gourami and no one attacked each other. JMO though.

as mentioned above, you best option would be the 3-spot gourami.
They are the more aggressive gourami and can stand their ground with barbs/danios.
Any of the varieties (blue gourami, gold gourami, opaline gourami) will work.

It's best to keep only 1 gourami per tank - unless its a large tank.
what size is your tank?

The tank is a 55gal. So plenty of room. I am looking to fill out the schools to 10 or 12 danios 10 barbs. I need to pick something for the bottom. The bottom feeder will come first. But that is another thread. I will need a bottom feeder that will be ok with the barbs danios ( Which I'm not worried about) and the gouramis.

This sounds just like the setup I want! Tigers, danios and maybe a dwarf gourami, my tank is a 120 litre/26 gallon, so I feel maybe my equipment isn't big enough?! Perchance a male dwarf gourami then?!

I'm not sure about a 29gal. It would be nice wig slightly smaller schools of barbs and danios. I think I want a few blue guromies I will learn how to spell it correctly before I get them! Haha! Now I just need to know the best group to get. Two or three and what M/F ratio.

gwithyen said:
This sounds just like the setup I want! Tigers, danios and maybe a dwarf gourami, my tank is a 120 litre/26 gallon, so I feel maybe my equipment isn't big enough?! Perchance a male dwarf gourami then?!

I would try maybe one school instead, either danios or barbs, and a bigger gourami instead. JMO.

Ok, so final counts would be something like this

12 gold long finned danios
8 to 10 Tiger barbs
3 Blue gourami
some type of bottom feeder. maybe two BN plecos.

any thoughts on this?

skiweeangel said:
Ok, so final counts would be something like this

12 gold long finned danios
8 to 10 Tiger barbs
3 Blue gourami
some type of bottom feeder. maybe two BN plecos.

any thoughts on this?

Sounds alright. If you're still going with the Asian theme loaches are bottom dwellers.

But loaches get to be very big i heard. I like them but not sure how big they are.

You might want to think about a bottom dweller to round out the tank. The 37gl being a tall tank you need to think about if all areas will be used. Different fish in different layers not all crowded in the middle section.
gourami's stay in the top third of the tank
bloodfins mostly in the middle
Silver tetra mainly in the middle as well
cherry barb is allover the tank
that leaves an empty bottom
Just something to think about

Back
Top Bottom