tiger barbs dying because of ghost shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renn1206

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i had 10 tiger barbs in my 55 gal with a albino rainbow shark, an angel fish, 2 convict cichlids, 2 blue mystery snails, 2 striped raphael cats, 1 pleco, and one striped peacock eel, all fish are still pretty young the 2 cichlids havnt quite hit sexual maturity but they will be there soon. anyway i decided on buying ghost shrimp for my eel to eat but i didnt count on all the tiger barbs to have a feast as well and since i dont have a seperate holding tank i was kinda forced to leave the shrimp in there. 30 mins or so after i added the shrimp the 1st tiger dies about 2 hrs later the next one dies off to bed i go and wake up to 3 more dead tigers. what could be going on? im assuming they are choking or something has anyone ever had this problem before? any input would be very much appreciated

Could be a freak thing but they could be choking. I find the choking thing unlikely however. Another fish may have attacked them because they got to close to "their" shrimp. Also could be a sickness that started with the tigers.

i think what your problem is that ghost shrimp are very dirty and may collect toxins in their bodies so when your tiger barbs eat them they are smaller fish so all those toxins get released into that small fish

Omg so what can i do to try and avoid this for the next time i try to feed my eel? Im thinking of getting a holding tank but i don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I would do if you have another tank for your shrimp. Put them in the spare tank and feed them nutritious foods. Similar to 'gut loading' insects such as mealworms for reptiles. Get them cleaned out of all the junk from wherever you get them from. Then you can feed them to your eel knowing they are 'clean' and possibly more nutritious.

How small of a tank would be good enough for that i have a small betta tank but i dont think they would be good togeter i was thinkin maybe 10 gallons is that sufficient enough? When need be i will be gettin another 2 dozen

have you given your eel live black worms? my tire track eel loves them and so do the rest of the fish..put them in a feeder cone and let them feast away plus if any get away they get to sift threw the gravel on the hunt for a treat

abstract373 said:
have you given your eel live black worms? my tire track eel loves them and so do the rest of the fish..put them in a feeder cone and let them feast away plus if any get away they get to sift threw the gravel on the hunt for a treat

I tried giving the eel worms but the thing is he wont eat blood worms and black worms trout worms or earth worms seem to be too big for him to injest he nibbled on one from my hand once but thats it. Other than that i hadnt really seen him much ive only had him for a couple weeks and ive seen him a total of about 5 times but the cone seems like a really good idea although im thinking my tigers might just finish them all before the eel gets a chance at it through the cone anyway

i put some in the feeder cone with red wigglers and drop a clump of them right by my eel that gets him going...but you have to give em time you said youve had a few weeks? it took me about a month in a half to see mine nibble on a few worms still waiting to see him catch a ghost shrimp always see him chase never seen the reward

abstract373 said:
i put some in the feeder cone with red wigglers and drop a clump of them right by my eel that gets him going...but you have to give em time you said youve had a few weeks? it took me about a month in a half to see mine nibble on a few worms still waiting to see him catch a ghost shrimp always see him chase never seen the reward

Wow thats a long time but i guess patience is a vertiue the cone definately looks like a great idea. My next thing is should i cut the worms up or anything like that being that the eel is still fairly small about 4-5" in length?

black worm are small string like as for earth worm thats why i use red wigglers there just smaller thin earth worms.. i leave them untouched they take them as they come all my fish eat them some times play tug of war with the bigger one but that all depends on your fish try hole if no luck chop them up to a bite size treat (y)

Awesomeness i will post on tuesday and tell you how it goes im actually out of the house till tomorrow night... Just out of curiosity where can i find red wigglers?? Im in the orlando area if it helps any. Thank you for your help thus far

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom