Tiger Barbs eating Harlequin Raspboras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NATO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a quick question about a tank with about 13 Tiger Barbs (various sizes from about 1 to 3inches) and very small harlequin Raspboras (about 0.75in)

Since the harlequins were added they've started disappearing - 2 per day for the last 2 days.

I can't seem to find them anywhere so I can only assume they have been eaten - is it possible they are being eaten by the tiger barbs? It doesn't look like they'd fit in their mouths but it doesn't seem like there's any other explanation.

I've never seen the Tiger Barbs bother them during the evenings when I'm at home but obviously they might act differently when the lights are off etc.

How big is the tank and how many Harlequins did you start with.

Tiger Barbs are considered semi-aggressive. They are typically less aggressive when in larger schools like you have, but I suppose if the tank is too small then the over crowding could make them more aggressive. Plus, the size difference between the two could also add to the possibility that the barbs are picking on the rasboras.

Also, look around your tank and make sure they arent just jumping out. Nothing Ive read about Harlequins states that theyre the type to jump out, but Ive had a couple do it anyways. Im sure you'd notice multiple dead fish, but they are kinda small and tend to shrink further when they dry up.

It is very possible your barbs are tearing up your rasboras. I had a school of barbs kill some tetras before, which were bigger than them. They were disappearing and one day I saw a fluff float by, which happened to be the remains :(

It's a 120Litre Juwel Lido 120. There are also two small Ellioti Ciclids in the tank but they are very peaceful and tend to stay at the bottom, whereas the Harlequins stay at the top. It's the Tiger Barbs who tend to roam everywhere.

It's definitely a mystery, I see no aggression towards the harlequins when I watch them but they're nowhere to be found (I've checked the filter box too).

TB's don't discriminate, they are overtly obvious when they bully other fish, be it lights on or lights off ... look for nipped fins on the H.Rasboras, if they have it, the TB's are bullying.
It's possible the H.Rasboras are just dying and the TB's (which have voracious appetites) are eating the carcasses.

Still, TB's bullying the Rasboras has to be considered, it's in their nature and having them in large numbers is not always a guarantee.

I think the mystery is solved, I've had a really close look at the remaining three harlequins and one of them has barely got a tail left, so the Tiger Barbs are the guilty party. It's possible they're torturing them to death and eating them.

The harlequins are really tiny, do you think they'd be as bad to normal sized ones? The Ellioti Cichlids are absolutely fine but they're about the same size (one slightly bigger) than the Tiger Barbs.

I think the mystery is solved, I've had a really close look at the remaining three harlequins and one of them has barely got a tail left, so the Tiger Barbs are the guilty party. It's possible they're torturing them to death and eating them.

The harlequins are really tiny, do you think they'd be as bad to normal sized ones? The Ellioti Cichlids are absolutely fine but they're about the same size (one slightly bigger) than the Tiger Barbs.

In this case, it was like lambs to the slaughter. TB's in numbers as large as yours are usually not a problem as they're too busy bickering with each other. Sounds like you just got a school of nasty TB's .... It happens.

it's a 120litre juwel lido 120. There are also two small ellioti ciclids in the tank but they are very peaceful and tend to stay at the bottom, whereas the harlequins stay at the top. It's the tiger barbs who tend to roam everywhere.

It's definitely a mystery, i see no aggression towards the harlequins when i watch them but they're nowhere to be found (i've checked the filter box too).

liters!!! Do u live in america screw the metric system

In this case, it was like lambs to the slaughter. TB's in numbers as large as yours are usually not a problem as they're too busy bickering with each other. Sounds like you just got a school of nasty TB's .... It happens.

That's what I thought was strange, when I sit and watch the tiger barbs in the evening they're actually quite peaceful! They very rarely squabble and certainly only ever seemed to bicker among themselves. Saying that, I only get to watch them for a few hours a day, who knows what they're up to while I'm not there!

Fortunately lesson learned, I'll be very careful in future.

Back
Top Bottom