Tiger Barbs getting along with other fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZekeMM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody!
I'm new here but this place seems like a great place for help. I have a 55 gallon tank. I have 8 Tiger Barbs, 2 Gouramis, 2 Angels, 3 Clown Loachs, 4 Black Fin Tetras, and a Betta. I was informed that the Barbs should be kept in schools of 8-12 to help curb the fin nipping, but it seems like 2 or 3 of them still go after the other fishes. Is there a solution for this problem? The Barbs are only 4 days old in my tank. Are they just getting settled in and will calm down in a bit? Any info is appreciates! Thanks all!

I don't think they will calm down. I've also heard that if you keep them in a school that they will keep to themselves. I have four in my ten gallon tank and they nip at anything that goes into that tank. My hand, other fish, food, ANYTHING. I bought them and an angelfish. Within an hour, they started nipping, so I put the angel fish in with my other community tank.

Your fish my prove me wrong, but I think the barbs will continue to nip at the angelfish and betta. If it were me, I'd take back the barbs, or get another tank and put them in with other barbs (rosy barbs, golden barbs, green barbs).

I have 10 Tiger Barbs in a 55 gal along with a pleco guy and a shark and a Violet Goby. The tigers pretty much keep to themselves, but I have witnessed them being tempted to nip on another's fin. That's just one of their quirks. It looks tasty I guess. The angels will end up being harrassed to death by them so it's a good idea to move them.

the fins of the betta nd the angles may prove too be too tempting for the tigers, iv return either the tigers or the betta and angle.

Back
Top Bottom