Tiger Barbs. Must be the cat in them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
But I've come to notice my barbs are about the most curious fish I've ever seen. Whenever anything, and I repeat, anything, new goes into the tank, you can be sure that they will be there inspecting it before your hand is even out of the water.:D

Yup...I can hand feed my albino tiger barbs and they nip on my fingers without a care in the world.

Yup...I can hand feed my albino tiger barbs and they nip on my fingers without a care in the world.

Yeah, I've noticed that when doing gravel vacuming. They attack my hand as if it were made of brine shrimp and blood worms. I swish them away with a finger, and they are back within seconds.

That's really why I enjoy them. However, it can be a pain when I'm trying to feed my plecos. The two smaller plecos have to run off the barbs before they can get access to the algae wafers

I am really wanting these guys, the more I read about them. I like fish with good personalities. Does it hurt when they nibble your finger? Or just tickle? I would probably freak out. Lol. The only thing I would worry about though would be trying to feed my other fish, like my cories. If they are more shy they might now get to eat so well

I am really wanting these guys, the more I read about them. I like fish with good personalities. Does it hurt when they nibble your finger? Or just tickle? I would probably freak out. Lol. The only thing I would worry about though would be trying to feed my other fish, like my cories. If they are more shy they might now get to eat so well

I'm waiting for my mosses to fill out before I get my loaches, so I'm not sure. Of course if you fed flakes and sinking food at the same time, the cories would have a better shot, but my tiger barbs clear out food faster than a Hoover. And when they aren't being fed, they occasionaly go to the bottom and peck around for any food they may have missed, which must be pretty small, cause like I said, little vacuum cleaners.

But people do keep cories with barbs, so I'm sure there is a solution.

As for how it feels, well, it doesn't really hurt or tickle, it just feels like a nonpainful little poke, like 5 times a second from each fish. Its more amusing than anything that they have the audacity to pester me where other fish would head for the hills.

Lol I know my dwarf puffer will come up to me when I go to the tank now, but as soon as I stick that gravel vac in there he's gone! He's a pretty good hider, and I don't even have a whole lot in there yet.

I am really leaning towards those with the cories. Wonder if they would get along with Bolivian Rams and/or a swordtail? Have you ever had any of these with them? I got <a href= "target http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Compatibility/MatchResults.php"> this site </a> from DragonFish71 and it claims they'd get along (swordtail and tiger barb) but then I will have to choose between rams and barbs probably. Sorry to jack this for a min :p

Are you waiting for moss carpet to grow in? Or your cave?

Lol I know my dwarf puffer will come up to me when I go to the tank now, but as soon as I stick that gravel vac in there he's gone! He's a pretty good hider, and I don't even have a whole lot in there yet.

I am really leaning towards those with the cories. Wonder if they would get along with Bolivian Rams and/or a swordtail? Have you ever had any of these with them? I got <a href= "target Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match"> this site </a> from DragonFish71 and it claims they'd get along (swordtail and tiger barb) but then I will have to choose between rams and barbs probably. Sorry to jack this for a min :p

Are you waiting for moss carpet to grow in? Or your cave?

The moss cave. I think I read somewhere about someone keeping barbs with rams, but I don't remember. Really though, you can go to google and type "..." with "..." and chances are there is a thread on some forum somewhere. Of course some people will always say no, and some yes, and the others "depends on your setup."

But I've never heard of anyone with a big enough shoal of tiger barbs having problems with them. Its all about numbers with these guys.

Lol my barbs love it when I clean the gravel. They think the tiny bits of gravel that gets sucked in the tube is food and they poke at the tube...it's funny...they never learn! :D

I just picked up ten of these little fellas and they are amazing to watch. I have them with a blue gourami. They don't mess with him at all. I think because of the large shoal. My gourami loves to swim right threw the ball of barbs and they don't seem to mind. Great addition to my tank for sure!!!

I can't wait to get my shoal of 11 for my 250 gal. Something just attractive about them.

Yea they are way cooler to watch in a larger shoal. I actually have 7 tiger and three cherry I beleive. It's really nice to have that slight color variation. I mailny got them to pair with some loaches in the future. But now I'm happy even if I don't gwt the loaches lol.

Other fish with good personalities:

bettas and rams are my absolute favorites. they are so smart, curious, and social. they are responsive when you go to the tank, and they watch all the fish in the tank and respond to what they are doing.

gouramis are also thoughtful fish, although a bit cantankerous.

my neons and rainbows are very pretty, but they generally just swim around.

my dwarf puffer is like a dog lol. he is very inquisitive, has a great personality and he explores all over the tank. I can't even find him anymore I have so many plants in there, but he's comfortable now. I want some tiger barbs bad. Those were the first fish I wanted for the 10 but it's too small for them, so they are going to go in the 29 with the rams and the cories.

My wish fish would have to be the butis butis. Also known as the crocidile or crazy fish. These things have one of the coolest personalities I've seen in a fish.

bettas and rams are my absolute favorites. they are so smart, curious, and social. they are responsive when you go to the tank, and they watch all the fish in the tank and respond to what they are doing.

One thing I love about fish is that most of them are pretty quick to learn where there food comes from. The danios in my 10 will nip at my fingers a bit too, and the guppies all come circling up like , "Is it chow time, yet?!"

:D

My dwarf gourami has a HUGE personality. I hand feed him all the time. If he sees you in the room, he really pays attention to what you are doing. When I am using my Python, he supervises. LOL. He has to make sure you are doing things just right. I really think he enjoys the interaction with me.

Back
Top Bottom