Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tiger Barbs. Must be the cat in them

But I've come to notice my barbs are about the most curious fish I've ever seen. Whenever anything, and I repeat, anything, new goes into the tank, you can be sure that they will be there inspecting it before your hand is even out of the water.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup...I can hand feed my albino tiger barbs and they nip on my fingers without a care in the world.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3k View Post
Yup...I can hand feed my albino tiger barbs and they nip on my fingers without a care in the world.
Yeah, I've noticed that when doing gravel vacuming. They attack my hand as if it were made of brine shrimp and blood worms. I swish them away with a finger, and they are back within seconds.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's really why I enjoy them. However, it can be a pain when I'm trying to feed my plecos. The two smaller plecos have to run off the barbs before they can get access to the algae wafers
Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
I am really wanting these guys, the more I read about them. I like fish with good personalities. Does it hurt when they nibble your finger? Or just tickle? I would probably freak out. Lol. The only thing I would worry about though would be trying to feed my other fish, like my cories. If they are more shy they might now get to eat so well

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma1228 View Post
I am really wanting these guys, the more I read about them. I like fish with good personalities. Does it hurt when they nibble your finger? Or just tickle? I would probably freak out. Lol. The only thing I would worry about though would be trying to feed my other fish, like my cories. If they are more shy they might now get to eat so well
I'm waiting for my mosses to fill out before I get my loaches, so I'm not sure. Of course if you fed flakes and sinking food at the same time, the cories would have a better shot, but my tiger barbs clear out food faster than a Hoover. And when they aren't being fed, they occasionaly go to the bottom and peck around for any food they may have missed, which must be pretty small, cause like I said, little vacuum cleaners.

But people do keep cories with barbs, so I'm sure there is a solution.

As for how it feels, well, it doesn't really hurt or tickle, it just feels like a nonpainful little poke, like 5 times a second from each fish. Its more amusing than anything that they have the audacity to pester me where other fish would head for the hills.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
Lol I know my dwarf puffer will come up to me when I go to the tank now, but as soon as I stick that gravel vac in there he's gone! He's a pretty good hider, and I don't even have a whole lot in there yet.

I am really leaning towards those with the cories. Wonder if they would get along with Bolivian Rams and/or a swordtail? Have you ever had any of these with them? I got <a href= "target http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums....tchResults.php"> this site </a> from DragonFish71 and it claims they'd get along (swordtail and tiger barb) but then I will have to choose between rams and barbs probably. Sorry to jack this for a min :p

Are you waiting for moss carpet to grow in? Or your cave?

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma1228 View Post
Lol I know my dwarf puffer will come up to me when I go to the tank now, but as soon as I stick that gravel vac in there he's gone! He's a pretty good hider, and I don't even have a whole lot in there yet.

I am really leaning towards those with the cories. Wonder if they would get along with Bolivian Rams and/or a swordtail? Have you ever had any of these with them? I got <a href= "target Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match"> this site </a> from DragonFish71 and it claims they'd get along (swordtail and tiger barb) but then I will have to choose between rams and barbs probably. Sorry to jack this for a min :p

Are you waiting for moss carpet to grow in? Or your cave?
The moss cave. I think I read somewhere about someone keeping barbs with rams, but I don't remember. Really though, you can go to google and type "..." with "..." and chances are there is a thread on some forum somewhere. Of course some people will always say no, and some yes, and the others "depends on your setup."

But I've never heard of anyone with a big enough shoal of tiger barbs having problems with them. Its all about numbers with these guys.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol my barbs love it when I clean the gravel. They think the tiny bits of gravel that gets sucked in the tube is food and they poke at the tube...it's funny...they never learn!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just picked up ten of these little fellas and they are amazing to watch. I have them with a blue gourami. They don't mess with him at all. I think because of the large shoal. My gourami loves to swim right threw the ball of barbs and they don't seem to mind. Great addition to my tank for sure!!!

Tags
barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com